Shooting permission

Del C

Feb 29, 2020
Romford Essex
Hello all... Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm looking for somewhere to practice for HFT competition shooting.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks for your time.

Del...

Reactions: DocG

Broch

Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
Hi Del, welcome to the forum.

We're too far away to offer any help I'm afraid but can I suggest you tell us all a bit about yourself as an introduction? - how much experience you have, if you're a member of a club, and your general interests etc.

People tend to be a bit reluctant to introduce people they don't know to their permissions or land.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
You'd be welcome to shoot over my land (It is cleared by the Police for up 7.7mm centre fire) so there would be no problem with an air rifle.
I'd guess our location (top half of Lincolnshire) makes it impractical for you in Romford.

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You'd be welcome to shoot over my land (It is cleared by the Police for up 7.7mm centre fire) so there would be no problem with an air rifle.
I'd guess our location (top half of Lincolnshire) makes it impractical for you in Romford.
Similar for my land (no caliber restrictions at all and no police clearance required) but travel might be a problem.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Similar for my land (no caliber restrictions at all and no police clearance required) but travel might be a problem.
I am fortunate to have an "Open Licence" which allows me to self certify any land as safe for whatever calibre I want to use on it (not anyone else) If you don't have an Open Licence then you can only use the land with :
a) The land owners permission
b) A calibre that has been approved as 'safe' on that parcel of land.

My land has been approved for all calibres up to 7.7 (303 ) including 308 (which is 7.62) so others can shoot over my land up to those calibres with my permission.

Our laws may seem restrictive to residents of some countries but they are fairly simple to adhere to and do not overly restrict gun ownership (I have 'double figures' of firearms) as long as you 'play the game' and stick to the rules.

One of my favourite shotguns is the little 'Poachers' folding 410 that collapses and goes into the inside pocket of your waxed jacket - even the dog likes it !

My favourite centre-fire must be the Sniper rifle used in the Falklands war (Lee Enfield L42A1)
Complete with transit case and sniper kit and accessories.
I also have a Lee Enfield No4T (WW2 sniper rifle and 'kit') and a few others.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah; landowner’s permission is always a must have no matter what.

Our rules are pretty simple regarding calibers. No license of any kind required just for recreational shooting, however a hunting license might apply if you’re shooting game on someone else’s land and then there will be caliber/gauge restrictions fitting for the quarry itself (minimum and maximum calibers/gauge/shot size/bow draw weight/etc. are set by state laws though and no police inspections or discretion is involved) For pure recreational shooting any caliber whatsoever at outdoor areas as long as you meet the following conditions:
-Outside of city limits
-A minimum distance from any public road (that distance varies from state to state from 200 feet to 200 yards)
-Don’t shoot towards or over any public road.

Some more built up areas do restrict you to shotgun only or bow only. Indoor ranges are dependent on the structure and backstop but have the advantage of being legal in the middle of town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

Veracocha

Sep 9, 2019
Birmingham
All UKAHFT is restricted to sub 12-fltbs so any where you can get to practice safely between 8 & 45 yards will do. Maldon & District (MAD) in Essex is a very good club with some of the top UK shooters as members. Open all week iirc.

Reactions: Edtwozeronine

Edtwozeronine

Jan 18, 2020
Newport City
I'm a forum member over at airgun forum dot co dot uk, a lot of the folks over there shoot hft. Probably best to join one nearest to you as they have courses set up specifically for the sport and have practice ranges. The club I'm with just do indoor shooting once a week, it's more or less a coffee evening but on the bright side the weather doesn't stop you.

Reactions: santaman2000