Shooting an underlever.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I joined a new shooting club recently.

They have a 6 month probationary period, during which time you visit 16 times, under the supervision of a range officer.

I've been practising using a scoped bolt action .22 on the indoor range, for muscle memory purposes, and good form. Knocking out the bullseye at 30 metres.

I'll probabpy then move up to a slightly larger bolt action, like a .243, then maybe a 308, etc.

They encourage you to have a go with as many guns as possible. [And they have just about every rifle under the sun]

Yesterday had my first go with a 'cowboy' gun. A winchester underlever carbine 357 magnum. Now that was some serious fun. :D

Really enjoyed it. Went all John Wayne. :AR15firin

I think one of those would certainly be on my application ticket.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lever actions are wonderful rifles, fast to operate, light, short very pointable. Whats not to like? This is mine

Marlin by British Red, on Flickr

I have a hankering for a 45-70 guide gun right now but may get a 30-30 cleared for vermin work instead

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hi Hugh. Nice rifle. I was shooting 38 loads, mainly, through standard iron sights. But really enjoyed the lever action on it. Cant wait to go back next week.
Whats that sight on yours then?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a holographic red dot sight Dave (no magnification). It projects a red dot onto a pane of glass and you shoot both eyes open. Very fast for gallery rifle. I do shoot .38s in mine too, and light hand loads in 357 and full chat magnum - its all good!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Not sure where you are Dave but pleased you have caught the bug.

The red dot sight is good for speed steels and such but a telescopic sight makes a lot of difference. Most gallery comps are shot that way.

See if your club has a Ruger 10/22 or M&P 15/22 to play with and shoot semi auto while you have time. There are moves afoot in Euroland to ban them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers Frank. [I have a hard time remembering peoples names on here I havent talked to for a while!]
Yes, they had the semi auto .22's
I very much enjoyed it thanks. I'll ask about those guns. [Im up in Yorkshire]
Although tbh, I found it a lot easier than shooting my .22 air rifle on a HFT round. Didnt have to consider hold over/under without mildots.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Aha! We are playing at Bisley on the 29th out to 1400 yards. Straight back into hold over and windage!

Spot on with the name. :)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Aha! We are playing at Bisley on the 29th out to 1400 yards. Straight back into hold over and windage!

Spot on with the name. :)

Stickledown I take it? My spiritual home that windy little strip of land!

Some of my favourite memories of shooting matches involve the times we got into the (then) informal fun matches with lever rifles.

After a .22 pistol silhouette match, out would come the .22 lever rifles to be used on the same steel targets (chickens at 25M, Javelina at 50M, turkeys at 75M and rams at 100M). After a big bore match with full sized targets - just double the distances - out would come the centerfire lever guns.
It sounds pretty easy using a rifle on pistol targets, but it isn't when you consider the very expensive pistols used and (except for standing pistol matches), the rock solid Creedmoor position compared to standing shooting with a rifle.
Unlike shooting at paper it's a very noisy and exciting affair. I never tired of it.

I'd only ever owned two lever rifles since hunting distance are long here, and so more suited to powerful calibres in a bolt gun with pointed bullets. I bought a used Marlin 39A in .22LR made in 1951 - so smooth action and no added modern safety - to use in .22, and used a borrowed Marlin 30-30 for big bore. Later I used my brother's Winchester 30-30 rifle with heavy octagonal barrel - and every other calibre of Win and Marlin as people in the club began to collect them. It's a LOT of work casting bullets and match prepping brass which is why learning about the guns was a joint effort. Like everyone else who has read rifle books, we were expecting levers with two part stocks, barrel bands, heavy triggers, and made for once a year hunters to be inaccurate. What we found out is that with some work and sizing cast bullets to match the barrel, they as as accurate as the sights they come with and with better (peep) sights they are better than most people standing.
When I got the 39A I was incredibly disappointed because it sure wasn't in the mint condition it was described and priced at. Nevertheless I had a weekend to test it out and so cleaned and scoped it and headed to the range with a bunch of target ammo to test it. Luckily it was a very still day and I was very impressed with the accuracy and decided to keep it. Since the main challenge to 100M shooting with a .22LR is wind drift, the accuracy of the gun was more than sufficient. The surprising point for me was that the gun was accurate with all ammo tested whereas lots of .22's have a real preference. We saw the same characteristic with my friend's 39A.
With the Marlin 30-30, we simply took it out from where it had been sitting for decades and I loaded up some shells since I had previously shot 30-30 in a pistol and was set up. Accuracy at 200M with jacketed bullets was simply awful with us not being able to hit a ram and the bullets missing by a wide margin all around it. It was hilarious with neither of us as champion shooters being able to hit a ram! It was fun because once we saw the shape and size of the spread, we could apply the JB and Sweets to the bore, then move directly to .310 cast bullets. Then the misses stopped. Somewhere around I have the excel spreadsheets of all the bullet/powder/alloy/lube/primer/ crimp/load combinations and the work it took to make that rifle one of the most competitive I ever shot or went up against.
My brother insisted that I use his centennial Winchester rifle - which was made to be a wall-hanger. It was literally a pain to shoot with the back of the butt-stock being so concave and a brass liner - but it sure shot and won enough times.

What I've been trying to get at with the above is that if a person both reloads and casts their own bullets, a lever gun can be very surprising. If you both reload and cast, then it's very inexpensive to shoot, and that shooting with flat nosed low BC bullets will raise wind doping skills beyond belief and with lots of fun.
So I'd say that a lever gun is a wise investment - and if a person doesn't reload then the 39A is incredible and has lots of fans.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Have a Win '94 in 30/30 for woods traipsing since I was a teen, I also have a .22lr Win '9422, both of them would be my "go to" firearms.
Thinking of getting a 'Win '92 in .45LC similar to the Duke, (Duke used a '92 in 44/40).
In these parts the bush is so thick that 100yds is a longer shot than average, and I like to get real close to my game.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Dave: I hope that you enjoy shooting for shooting's sake. I've been a member of a shooting club for about 40 years. No other club has held my interest for nearly so long.
I shot a .22S Unique Vitesse in Olympic-style Rapid Fire, I shot centerfire to 500M. Mostly now, I shoot some trap to visit with a great group of friends.

For the rest of you, try IHMSA Silhouette = I shoot a rebarreled Remington XP100 bolt action pistol in 7mm x .308. It is a handful if you are not mentally prepared to touch one off.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
See news item below – posted to NRA website & FB

The EU has published a draft directive in response to recent terrorist events; it risks muddling the obvious need to restrict illicit ex-military weapons entering and moving throughout the EU with the legal activities of several million decent and law abiding target and sporting shooters. There are threats to the continuation of the use of semi-automatic firearms (already heavily restricted); and worrying proposals regarding deactivated weapons.

.22 calibre semi-automatic rifles are enjoyed by thousands of UK target shooters; they are one of the most popular types in Gallery Rifle shooting. Semi-automatic shotguns are also very popular and are used by growing numbers of our members in target shooting competitions. Attempting to ban certain types of firearms by how they look, rather than what they do, is simply illogical. In the UK, testing by the British Proof Houses ensures a high standard of deactivation.

We welcome the thrust of the Home Secretary’s recent statement, particularly “The UK has some of the toughest firearms laws in the world. The sorts of weaponry used in the attacks in Paris in January, and those that appear to have been used last Friday, are not readily available in the UK. We must therefore focus on tackling firearms entering and moving throughout the EU, and ensuring that we have the right capabilities at the UK border to detect firearms being smuggled in…I will press the need for greater information sharing, passenger name records, and action on firearms. In the UK we have seen tough legislation work and so we want to see action taken to make a difference to the availability of firearms in Europe, particularly assault rifles”
Our European shooting friends have started a petition to highlight the risks of unforeseen consequences from the proposed EU Directive – I think it is important that all European shooters register their support and concern by signing the petition – follow the link https://www.change.org/p/council-of...-terrorism-by-restricting-legal-gun-ownership
Andrew Mercer

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I tried .22cal rifle silhouette and really enjoyed it. For some reason, interest at the club began to wane in favor of paper punching. Same with different types of handgun competitions. My interest in trap shooting was rising steadily so I stayed with that.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Nothing at all wrong with lever guns for backwoods hunting but given the calibres they are most often offered in its very easy to choose "too much gun" for turkey.

Enjoy your shooting.

K

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I couldn't find anything in that link about semi-autos.

Apologies...take a look at Countryman's post above or have a Google, plenty bout this in the shooting press. He's also put a link to the petition if you are a supporter of shooting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE