Shimano Exage BX STC Spin travel rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
Looking for a compact rod that I can put on the side of my rucsac as most of my fishing is pretty remote or tricky ground. I already have a decent telescopic rod so would prefer a 5 piece instead.

It has to cope with trout fishing on big lakes/loch's but be equally useful for shore/rock fishing on the west coast of scotland. Not going after monster fish, just mackeral/pollock/bass/trout etc.

Found one for a reasonable price, anyone using one? What length (8', 9', 10')? What action (medium/hard).

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I've just been looking at the new ( not released yet ) :( Penrod combo set, it's both a fly and spinning / allrounder, but as I said, not available yet, really posted as a heads up and to stay in the loop in this thread ( sorry ) but I am interested in anything compact that might be mentioned, sorry and thanks :)

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Heres my lightweight set up . Pretty much packs away to nothing. Used mainly on wild brownies in remote hill lochs and small streams
Rod is a 5ft Mitchell carbon and the reel is a shimano symetre 500

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0848_zpsd966587b.jpg
    DSCF0848_zpsd966587b.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: Billy-o

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I've had a look at the BX STC and would say that for what you're describing all of them including the 8' are a wee bit too heavy on the cast weight ratings, that'll cause casting problems with regular weight trout lures.

I mainly just fly fish these days but was reared on a spinning rods and spinning rod techniques in the north west highlands, mainly for trout but the sea too.

Huntersforge set up above looks the business for the hill lochs, a bubble and fly fisher :), but perhaps a little light for the sea, although I've seen salmon caught on similar.

IME a good all rounder is a medium action spinning rod with a cast weight of between 5g to 25g, that will handle 8g meps (the ideal lake/loch mep size for trout) and will handle short casting a 28g tobby, which is the standard size for salmon, and of course it'll cast everything in-between.

While 5g to 25g would be ideal, they're hard to find in multi piece or telescopic travel rods formats, so a good compromise is 10g to 30g, provided you're using light enough line that set up will still shoot an 8g mep a good distance, here's a couple for around the £50 mark, a multi piece and telescopic;

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shimano-vengeance-stc-travel-rods~18114.html

https://www.anglingactive.co.uk/shimano-stc-exage-bx-mini-tele-spin.html (model 21M)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Line weight and quality is perhaps the most important factor. I can't recommend Maxima line enough, it's great stuff. 6lb for still fresh water trout techniques, mep, bubble-and-fly, bubble-and-worm etc and 8lb for the sea (6 will do for mackerel if there's no barnacled snags), moving fresh water worming, casting 28g tobbys etc and worming on the bottom in still water.

Any heavier and casting distance is compromised, lighter and you risk snapping the line and leaving wildlife unfriendly mono lying around.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best mobile hill loch technique for summer, if there's a breeze and therefore a wave on the water; is the bubble and fly; (bubble half filled with water tied to the end of the line, with two or three fly bearing droppers off the line 18" to 2' apart back towards the rod) the technique is to cast "into the wind" (or fish with "the wind in your face", as the old guys would advise when we were young) and retrieve quite quickly, bigger the wind and wave the better and the faster the retrieve. Size 10 standard loch pattern flies work great.

This works well when the fish are high in the water column on hill lochs, from late spring through to the end of the season. If the breeze drops off you can spin with a mep (the old 8g Abu Droppin in a selection of colours black gold and silver covers the various light conditions, brighter the conditions darker the mep, darker conditions brighter the mep, it's the exact opposite for fly selection).

IMO, there's nothing better than being up the hill in fading light casting a bubble and flies into a wave and to taking fish.

Sorry for waffling on :eek:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Nothing wrong with the tele-rods from the £1 shops - reels crap tho.
You can't lose sections of tele-rods...

THIS ONE'S A REAL BARGAIN CARBON : NGT 7PC Quality Expedition 6ft Carbon Travel Holiday @ £11.95 on fleebay

Otherwise totally agree with advice from Uilleachan & Huntersforge.

duir

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2006
Cumbria
Thanks for all the tips. I lived in the north of Scotland for 10 years until last year and definitely agree with the bubble float and fly droppers, had loads of success with that technique on hill lochs.

Had too many £1 shop tele rods drop to bits mid session to bother with those again! My current tele rod wasn't expensive but has proved a super little setup and packs down to under 40cm but it just lacks the nice feel of a multi section rod. So I want to get a multi section that is just as compact if possible and it would be nice to buy something that will las years and years even with a bit of salt water fishing.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
I do own the Shimano Exage BX STC Spin travel rod. I have the version that is 2,70m.
It does feel good to hold. The transport casing/tube is a little heavy (450 gram I believe
with the rod in it). The casing is 65 cm in length. For fishing from the shore/rock I tend
to use the longer rods, like this one. If you like to know more, just ask; I can do a
measurement or answer a question you might have, if you like...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE