Shepherd's Whistle - Aaaargh!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I bought one of them thar Shepherd's Whistles last week. I've plenty of whistles but thought I'd give one of these a go as my dog is part Border Collie.

In the good weather "lip whistling" is simple but in late Autumn and Winter it's not so easy. In fact my lower lip can split wide open, a weakness left by having a boxing injury stitched up as a teenager.

I'm having mixed success with it, but the dog occasionally returns to it.

Well, when I say "returns to it", he trots over in amused curiosity at the weak squeaks I'm managing to produce. I sound like an apprentice mouse trainer and its too embarrassing to try in public areas.

I'd like it to sound like they do on "One Man and his Dog".

Anyone got any advice?

Liam

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
Know exactly where you are coming from.............. it does your head in doesn't it?

After weeks of trying and total frustration I eventually asked a farmer I saw using one when I was on hols in the Lakes. He suggested plastic rather than the metal ones.
Even after his advice it took me a few weeks to get consistent. I still use one - and still fail to get it right some times!

- I found the plastic ones made by "Acme" better than the other types. I can't get the metal ones to work even now, years later. If you are determined, try several types.
- don't over practice. It gets frustrating and the whistle gets clagged up with spittle. The dog gets totally confused + brassed off too.

This is hard to describe but here goes :
- put the whistle between your lips, holding it gently with your lips. You'll need to experiment as to how far into your mouth it goes. With the Acme type I put the surface with the lettering on my lower lip, most of the time, but try turning it over anyway..
- lightly put the tip of your tongue on the bottom of your bottom gum, near the centre, or sort of curl the tip of your tongue down towards the bottom of your mouth.
- blow moderately - not too hard or too soft (tricky to gauge)
- keep trying - the key bit is the tongue position. Experiment.
- its worth persevering with
- keep tissue handy to dry the gap between the two surfaces whilst practising
- there will be a magic moment when it works !!

I still have a very limited repertoire of calls, and certainly can't play a tune!

Hope this helps

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thanks for that Peaks. :D

It's the acme plastic one I've got.

I'm trying the tongue position you've suggested, I'd been placing the tongue in the curve and also no tongue use.

I'll keep trying. Need to find a Shepherd...

Cheers,

Liam

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I also have a Border Collie and she responds very well to a 'silent' metal whistle. Collies are very sound sensative and the high pitch seems to travel well.
We use it around the garden and give her a treat when she returns just for practise. It pays off when we go out in the sticks.
Riven.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
My Father-in-law was a shepherd (the Glenshee shepherd) and just whistled with his lips and only when the dogs got boisterous. The dogs knew what to do and just got on and did it as necessary, a delight to watch.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I did that with previous Border Collies of mine IanM, never used a whistle either and they were very clued in.

This dog (Treacle) is part BC, skittish scared of sheep but still very responsive.

Liam

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
All part of the service guys.............

Glad someone can make sense of what has become instinctive and v hard to describe - just keep trying (or get a tame shepherd to give lessons)

No longer have collies, but the new Jack Russell rescue responds well to the shepherds whistle.... just wish he'd stop trying to take lumps out of border collies 4x his size!... :)
Whats more surprising is that I can still make the whistle work after a 2 yr break!

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Don't know if you saw the Sunday post today Miyagi, but the farming columnist was talking about trying to learn to use one, explaining why they recommend keeping them on a bit of string. He says on his farm you're never more than 2 yards from a cowpat - coincidentally 2 yards is the average distance travelled by a plastic herd's whistle when unsuccessfully blowing too hard & it pops out of your mouth.... :lmao:

Tried to find the article online but no joy.....

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hahahahaha, the ex mother in law gets the Sunday Post, I'll ask her in the morning if I can have it.

Mine's on string too - by jove I should be a natural!

Cheers,

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE