sheperds crook handle.(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,
started on a sheperds crook handle this week.It not finished yet,but i would like to show progress so far.I will add to the thread at various stages of completion.
First pics show the raw material,a block of yew wood.Aquired from the net.

GEDC0306.jpg

GEDC0307.jpg

Next a tracing of the crook shape so i can transfer the shape to the block of wood.

GEDC0308.jpg

Shape transfered to wood.

GEDC0309.jpg

Highlighted outline with marker pen and outline sawn out. Hole drilled at curl.To aid shaping later.

GEDC0312.jpg

More marking out, dia of circle is 1 inch.

GEDC0316.jpg

Rasping closer to outline shape.

GEDC0318.jpg

Starting to take shape. This is harder than it looks,the shape of the crook makes it hard to hold in the vice,to be able to get a good angle to be able to rasp the curves.But its getting there.Note tidy work bench.

GEDC0320.jpg

GEDC0321.jpg

GEDC0322.jpg

GEDC0323.jpg

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
wooden crook's need reinforcing to be used for wrangling sheep i usually drill almost all the way through from back to front, epoxy a bit of threaded bar in then cap the open end with a dowel from the offcuts or you can make a feature of it by sticking a cartridge casing or something in the end.

looks good that mate i've got a bit of yew ready for a crook when i get round to it. what are you using for the shank?

cheers
matt

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
As Wattsy said
I have a cut piece ready to shape but it has the threaded bar ready to fix to the shaft and another one opposite to strengthen down to the loop
It would be a shame for it to break after all that work!
Looking good btw

Mark

Hi all,
thanks for taking the time to look.Also for the good advice,regarding strenghening.But there as been bit of a disaster.I finished most of the roughing out yesterday,but when i looked this morning,there are what i can only describe as stress cracks starting to form.I have filled them with super glue, and will let it dry for a few hours.I was going to fit the handle to a nice hazel stick that i cut last year.It was going to be a walking staff for myself.Because of the above problems, and the time i have spent on it so far, i will carry on and finish it.But i will not fit it to a stick.This is the first handle that i have made.So will treat it as a learning exercise.I will have to find a more suitable piece of wood for my next one. will post some more pics later.
Regards Chris.

Hi everyone,
just a quick update on this one.As stated above about the small cracks. Have now super glued them, and the handle has now been rough sanded to 80 grit.I will keep on with this handle.That is i will finish it.But will not fit a stick,Shame really as i wanted this to be a walking stick for myself.

GEDC0331.jpg

GEDC0332.jpg

GEDC0333.jpg

GEDC0334.jpg

Regards Chris.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
looks alright that mate do you not have a not so good quality shank to put it on? shame to not use it after all the effort

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Are the trad sticks not normally made with bent wood?

It's a nice looking handle. If I were you I think I'd strengthen it as described and use it anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE