Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well there's certainly lots of information on here to help you decide. The most important question you need to ask yourself is where do you do the majority of you camping? I certainly love hammocking but it does limit where you can pitch up. A tent is more versatile but diminishes the experience in my opinion.
Best solution? Buy both :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nobody can answer your question, I like tents, others prefer hammocks. You need to search past posts and better still try a hammock for real; the idea of a hammock does not always match the reality for some.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Cant decide on a small tent or hammock and tarp advice needed thanks Dean

Bivvy-bag, tarp, hammock - all your options covered, and weigh less than most tents.
In the absence of trees to hang from, a decent-sized tarp can be rigged to create a tent-like shelter. DD make decent tarps and hammocks at good prices; buy from their ebay store as they have discounted gear sometimes. Alpkit Hunka bivvy-bag is great value at £30.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Cant decide on a small tent or hammock and tarp advice needed thanks Dean

You live, at most, 10 minutes away from me. You could bob round one evening and have a look at some of the alternatives if you like and see what you think might suit you, if you ask really nicely I might even lend you some things to try out for a night :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Bivvy-bag, tarp, hammock - all your options covered, and weigh less than most tents.

I keep seeing this viewpoint promoted, but whenever I do the research it seems to be a self perpetuating myth.... or perhaps people are comparing high end technical gear on one side with cheap as chips gear on the other? (or, Im a fool and cant add up, which is always a possibility!)

A zeph 2 is ~ 1.6kg, compared to say the DD offering (3x3 tarp + frontline hammock) coming in at ~ 1.6kg. Im ignoring the debate about UQ's+bags v Mat + bag, since the weights are broadly similar until you start splashing cash on quite technical gear.

It seems to me as Mr Average that the hammock/tarp debate is more about the experience than it is about weight savings. Once you've decided how you like to enjoy the outdoors, thats the bigger driver.

PS. Bivi's make for huge weight savings, no doubt about that.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.... or perhaps people are comparing high end technical gear on one side with cheap as chips gear on the other? (or, Im a fool and cant add up, which is always a possibility!)

A zeph 2 is ~ 1.6kg, compared to say the DD offering (3x3 tarp + frontline hammock) coming in at ~ 1.6kg......

Surely with the examples you've got there you're comparing "high end" with "cheap as chips aren't you? Or am I thinking of an entirely different tent?

Not that I'm disagreeing with you by the way, I think you're probably right, my lightest option for shelter is a really cheap one man tent.

Cheers,

Stuart

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
I picked up my zeph brand new for £85. A quick google just now said £105. The DD stuff would price in at £75, so it doesnt seem a million miles apart....

I'd be the first to admit it was a quick comparison. Im afraid my priority right now lies with a large cuppa and some hob nobs :)

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I picked up my zeph brand new for £85. A quick google just now said £105. The DD stuff would price in at £75, so it doesnt seem a million miles apart.... I'll bow out now, its time for a cuppa and some hob nobs.

Fair enough, I thought the zephyr was a little more expensive than that, my mistake :eek:

rg598

Native
If you plan on staying below tree line, then it is just a matter or personal choice. Each system can be made light weight, and can be used over a large range of temperatures and conditions. I don't think there is any technical objective superiority to either system.

If you are going above tree line, then tent all the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE