Sheath Design question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
I definately like the seperate pouch, it allows for more flexibility,
what about actually making the pouch integral to the double dangler loop, or rather, making the pouch so that it can also function as the double dangler loop, allowing you to attach the knife below it if you want the dangler option?
Assuming the sharpener is going to be small and slim enough (i gather sal is developing the sharpener aswell?) you could kill two birds with one stone.

What are the ideas for attaching the double dangler to the sheath so far?

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
You could carry that further and make the firesteel holder part of the double dangler belt loop/ pouch, giving you means to carry your firesteel whether you are carrying the knife or not.
Perhaps if it was a firesteel holder and slip pouch for a small stone, you would also be able to place the striker part (attached on a lanyard to the ferro rod) in the slip pouch, if you prefer not to strike the ferro with your blade..

If the connection at the bottom of the belt loop/dangler to attach to the sheath was a carabiner or maillon rapide type fixing or some kind of universal clip, it could also be just a handy belt loop clip aswell, for anything (even keys, lanyards other knives or whatever) when you weren't using it as the dangler option.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some good ideas there guys - thanks. I think Tiffers bears with Spamel (on the lack of durability of elastic).

I like HCs thoughts on combining them and buy into Daves point about separating them (but would you want to neck carry a knife, stone and firesteel? Sounds heavy to me).

HC, the double dangler is shown here. As you can see the belt can go through the integral loop (high carry) or removable top loop (low carry below bergan belt)

doubledangler1nx.jpg

I'm getting an image in my mind now of the "accessory pouch" design - our earliest attempt can be seen here (this one is DC4 sized)

shinken33qj.jpg

The new one would have to be bigger and as deep as the firesteel with the loop on the inside

Red

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
A little para cord is all you need to secure a firesteel.

446_4614_1.jpg

Tuck the cord over the end of the steel and 's held in place very securly.
My steel is about half it's original diameter and it's never worked loose even when i carry it upside down on a neck sheath.

446_4624_1.jpg

443_4397_1.jpg

443_4399_1.jpg

rb

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Now that dangler fits my original idea. only instead of fixed to a belt loop as there a smaller loop to take a square karabiner then add either one separate belt loop like that dangler or two for longer carry. A similar loop on the oppisite top edge would take the pouch with the same karabiner, and at the same time make the whole sheath totally ambidextrous.
Dave.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Yes, i really like the double dangler, it's often much more comfortable , i have both belt and double dangler type sheaths and like both. I like the option of being able to remove/add the double dangler. I think the option for both with one sheath is ideal as some seem to find the danglers too "dangly" for their knife whereas others love them.
I was particularly wondering what ideas you were playing with for the method of attaching and removing the dangler to the sheath? (ie. buckle or maillon rapide, carabiner or clip?)
Just thought it might be possible to open up the use of the dangler when it isn't attached to the knife.
If it has a method of clipping that could also work on other sheaths or even anything like lanyards or keys, whatever, it might increase its versatility?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dave,

I need to see a sketch mate - I'm not quite grasping this - could you do something in paint or scan a hand sketch or something? I can't think how the pouch would hang with the sheath - in front, behind or to the side?

Heres the sort of thing I mean - this was me trying to explain an idea to Tiffers about a strap that would go round the sheath to hold a removable firesteel loop and stone pouch etc.

I thought I'd drop you a note on the "accesory strap" with drawings as requested

My plan is that the belt loop be longer but permanently stiched. The accesory strap buckle through the belt loop and fastens with a buckle or whatever. I have faked this with a piece of paper in the attached image

Thats the basics - the accessory strap fastens, not the belt loop. You'll need to look at the image now.

What I am trying to show here is that to make the strap sit in the right place, the bottom belt loop needs to extend further down the sheath - see note 1 and the red line

The bottom loop is stitched twice - once to secure the belt loop (top of sheath) and again lower to make a loop see note 2

The accessory strap passes through the lower loop - it then cant rise up when the firesteel etc is pulled on

The firesteel loop can be put on this accessory strap as could the stone pouch. If we wanted to the stone pouch could ride centrally (like mine did) covering the buckle (or the buckle turned round to be at the rear of the sheath)

I hope that helps.

sal41ed.jpg

Could you crayon something for me?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
happy camper said:
Yes, i really like the double dangler, it's often much more comfortable , i have both belt and double dangler type sheaths and like both. I like the option of being able to remove/add the double dangler. I think the option for both with one sheath is ideal as some seem to find the danglers too "dangly" for their knife whereas others love them.
I was particularly wondering what ideas you were playing with for the method of attaching and removing the dangler to the sheath? (ie. buckle or maillon rapide, carabiner or clip?)
Just thought it might be possible to open up the use of the dangler when it isn't attached to the knife.
If it has a method of clipping that could also work on other sheaths or even anything like lanyards or keys, whatever, it might increase its versatility?
HC,

Its a good thought. Tiffers makes some fab key clips that are very similar - I'll pass the idea on - I'm sure sal will like it too. Dual / multi purpose is always a plus!

Red

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
British Red said:
Given that a lot of us do carry a field sharpening stone, I'd be intrigued to know what the "ideal" carry method for that stoe would be:

1)In a pouch integral to the knife sheath?
2) In a separate belt / pocket pouch?
3) In a Bergan / trouser pocket loose?

Red

For me the question isn't as easy to answer. I don't care for sharpening stones. I do like the idea of a sharpening steel, or crock stick on the sheath. If I had a pouch on the sheath, I would carry a fire steel, small compass, and/or whatever I could fit in the pouch. The steel would go in my ruck sack. Just my two cents ;)

This is good stuff.... the sheaths pictured so far are brilliant :cool: . I wold love one for my F1.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
tarmix,

I'm sure Lawrence (RB) would be happy to sell you one of the ones pictured :) (oh and probably you too HC)

I think Tiffers is a tad busy right now (some bloke called sal has her scratching her head and shes sheathing up a knife by some other bloke called Shing :D Oh yeah and some chap called Red keeps saying "just one more Tiffers"). I'm sure she'll stick you on the list though!

Actually I really think that RB and Tiffers work goes to show that the sheath / axe cover is an important part of the set up and not just an afterthought - so many pople are willing to buy a replacement that has a design and care put into it

Thanks also to sal for letting us play with these ideas - more manufacturers would succeed if they spent some time asking the people who use the product! All sal needs to do now is make Andrew at Outdoorcode the main retailer!

Red

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I've got this idea lurking around in my head for a firesteel loop made all of leather but that has the ability to tighten up as needed but then able to return to full size when you have a new firesteel.

In fact, as I sit here thinking I have an idea about 2 different styles.

:D

I should be getting into my workshop tomorrow....at about 2pm :D Hopefully I will have something to show for my time :D

Tiffers

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
If you're looking at a secondary accessory strap that runs around the sheath like the one pictured in paper, it might be worth looking at having a sheath along the lines of a khukri set-up aswell.
I've seen them with a dangler or high carry belt loop that is effectively attached to the loopless sheath with a belt that is wrapped around the rigid sheath and laced up, if that makes sense?
Hard to explain unless you've seen the type i'm thinking of but it would effectively be ambidextrous, even with a single welt sheath, it would just depend on how you oriented the strap before lacing, this type of set-up would mean you could then attach any accessories to the belt holding the belt loop. if i'm making sense without pictures?
Quite like the way khukri sheaths store accessories behind the knife aswell but might be wandering off track a bit.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I could go for any of the ideas so far.
Though I am a bit nervous that with everything hanging off a sheath, that sheath will just become a "Chassis" for all the other pouches and pockets to attach themselves to, it also sounds as though it's going to be heavy to wear on either belt or neck.
The Companion Pouch sounds good and has been done in the past to reasonable effect (Leatherman, Swiss Army etc) and might have a balancing effect, knife on one side, companion on the other.
The Swiss Army pouch that carries the Swiss Champ as well as the "Survival Kit" has a loop for a sharpening stone set into the side so the stone is secured by the pouch flap - not rocket science but effective, and could be used for a firesteel or a short stone.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I agree with you Ogri about it becoming a "chassis" and thats something I want to prevent. I have a love of nice simple pure lines and think that its going to be patently obvious if something isnt working. I dont want it to become too bulky or heavy. Saying that, I thought initially that Reds sheath with the stone pouch and firesteel loop was going to be overly heavy and so on but its not! Its got a lovely balance to it :)

I love the idea of a companion pouch but then I love pouches :D

Tiffers

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well it looks like we may go after a couple of designs - an accessory pouch and a customisable sheath.

Heres a working sketch for an accessory pouch - it'll take a firesteel, stone and has another generous section for a small torch / SAK etc.). In a production model, I'd think or mahing the partions movable / removable but I expect to have em fixed in the prototype

This time I'd like to go after a box shaped pouch. I'd like the internal dividers to be shallower than the pouch so that a bit of each item protrudes and you can get hold of it.

I'd like to go for two double dangler (removable top) loops like the knife sheath ones (the pouch will match the sheath of course). There wil be a secure flap to go over the pouch as in the one above with the firesteel on. I do like the diea of making the loops useful in their own right and am thinking of asking Tiffers if she could make them so they can become key clips etc. when off the pouch

newpouch1wq.jpg

Thoughts anyone??

Red

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I am not sure how many of you will be familliar with them but one thing I have seen on a Chris Reeves sheath that I thought was a very secure way of holding the knife was the two holes cut into the belt loop, through which is threaded a bit of string, if your exerting yourself a bit and think the knife needs securing better you double the loop over and wrap it round the grip of the knife then pull it taut from the belt side.

I know it's not very clear but you can see the loop on the sheath in this picture...

skinner.jpg

It also means that the knife isn''t quite as avaliable but when your using it a lot you don't use the loop to secure it.

Just to be awkward I am not overly keen on loads of stuff on a sheath or masses of pouches on a belt cos I think it looks a bit "Batmans utility belt" and that comes from a bloke who wears a toolpouch with nail pockets, punch pockets,tape clip and hammer loop 8 hours a day ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE