Shave Horse from Offcuts (Updated)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Last Wednesday I had a bit of a tidy up at work and then decided to write the rest of the day off and make this from the scraps of flooring and leftover bits of ironmongery that's been kicking around for quite some time.
It is based on the Veritas plans I'd seen but as I did not have a full set of dimensions some head scratching was required.
My plank was only 28mm thick so I ran a groove into another piece to take the threaded bar. This also meant adding a hinge block to allow
the front leg to fold flat. The brass fitting is a catch for box sash windows and locks the leg brace in place.

[video]https://youtu.be/4YnAjXxIQc8[/video]

[video=youtube;4YnAjXxIQc8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YnAjXxIQc8[/video]

Cheers for looking in and thanks for those who tried before and have popped back, google photo is pants, btw ;)

Rob.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That is really clever. Liking the use of the offcuts and spares to build it :D

Can I ask, those fittings on the front and rear legs, are they window locks?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
nicely done good job

I have a half built one in the workshop kicking about, most of the components are made they're just getting dispersed, maybe I should go and finish it :D

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
That is really clever. Liking the use of the offcuts and spares to build it :D

Can I ask, those fittings on the front and rear legs, are they window locks?

Yes for box sash windows, left over from a job about ten years ago. If I don't use up the offcuts then one of the lads would burn them. :)
Rob

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I have a half built one in the workshop kicking about, most of the components are made they're just getting dispersed, maybe I should go and finish it :D

How many projects on the go is it now Tony?

Get it made Tony or else those parts will be requisitioned for one of those other projects Wayne is hinting at ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I am hoping to get a dimensioned drawing of it cad'd up and PDF'd for those interested. As I say it is based on the Veritas plans but I do not have a full set of those.

Rob.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Looks good. Really need to get on with mine.

Don't forget to post pics :) Been meaning to make one for a few years and was always inspired by other peoples projects, so glad I finally got on with it.

Very nice, a great tool.

I am hoping to make it more useful by fitting a holdfast in the seat area to hold some carving projects, just got to decide what system to use or combination thereof.

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE