Sharps on EasyJet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Can anyone advise?

I'm off to Spain on Monday and want to take some Bushcrafting stuff with me. That consists of all the normal bits and bobs, but most importantly my beloved knives. Now I've actually packed a cheap Mora as I'm worried about confiscations, however upon reading the EasyJet blurb it says sharps are fine in the hold.

Can anyone confirm their experiences with regards flying with sharps in the hold? Hopefully it will all be positive :)

Just to confirm, I have carried out a Forum Search, but couldn't find anything. Therefore I apologise if this is a duplicate request.

Many thanks in advance

Ed :)

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have never had any problems with them, so lonng as it was checked into hold baggage. However others may have had other experiences.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
All sharps are fine on most airlines as long as they're in your hold baggage. I took a few knives to Salzburg on easyjet only last week, no worries at all :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You will be fine in hold luggage but I'd stick to the Mora, Spanish customs officers are a law unto themselves if they're having a bad day.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Airlines are worried about things that can endanger the flight by catching fire or exploding. Bits of steel, regardless what they're shaped like are not a problem in the hold.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Airlines are worried about things that can endanger the flight by catching fire or exploding. Bits of steel, regardless what they're shaped like are not a problem in the hold.

I fully agree with the common sense approach and their policy supports this. However, my fear is that an Airport staff member (whoever and at whatever point that may be) may have a different interpretation. I don't doubt I could put them straight, but in my experience an 'obtuse' employee can cause unnecessary delays; something I'd rather avoid.

Although there appear to be some expressed fears, the only 'real world' examples have been positive ones. So, I'm inclined to say common sense appears to be the order of the day?

Cheers :)

I've taken ice axes and knives on Easy Jet a few times and never had a problem. Being as they've always been in / on a rucksack I've always had to use the "special" baggage conveyor and so have always declared what's in there and had it x-rayed in front of me. I've always had the ice axes on the outside of the rucksack, plainly visible, so it's not like anyone didn't know what I was carrying!

It's never been an issue for items in the hold.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Well, I thought I'd add the results of my trip. I decided to stick with my trusty (cheap) Mora rather than risk the Idun I was going to take and not an problem. I double checked with the Airline Staff and they just looked at me like I was mad! Traveling (certainly to Spain on EasyJet) with sharps in your case really is no issue.

Annoyingly the Mora (supplemented by the ever present Laplander) performed all tasks required of it making me realise that my expensive knives mean I'm a bit of a snob really :( I would add though, in my snobby defence, the Mora doesn't hold an edge like an ESEE or Falkniven, but I guess that's why you carry a stone ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE