sharpening and stropping - advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
Hi all,

I'm after a bit of guidance about knife/axe sharpening.

Up until now, I have always sharpened my axes and bill hook with an old motorised stone grinding wheel. It does tend to make a bit of a mess of the edge though - but gets them very very very very sharp. For smaller knives, I tried using the long sharpening stick tool thing that everyone has in the kitchen - Either I'm doing it wrong, or it's not very good... or both.

Anyway, I was sort of content with this until I found an old sharpening stone. So, I got out my trusty farmers pen knife and tried sharpening it on that, with a little bit of oil on the stone. This appeared to make bugger all difference to the sharpness of the knife. I can get them so that they're sort of sharpish... enough to cut string etc, and perhaps I wouldn't have noticed... but then I found BCUK and bought a couple of knives from a fellow bushcrafter. These are amazingly sharp, and obviously polished after sharpening as they look like chrome on the cutting edge.

I also keep seeing posts about stropping - mostly to do with strops that people have made.... what on earth do you do with one of them? I've got it into my head that it is a sharpening tool, but how on earth does a bit of leather sharpen a steel knife?

So, there's 2 things really - 1) question about about stropping... 2) the best tools and methods to sharpen knives and other cutting tools.

There have been a tutorial thread of some kind in the past, so I apologise if I've missed it.

Thanks

Adam

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
This is my understanding.

Sharpening on a stone will leave a very thin layer of metal at the edge of the blade (you could almost imagine it a bit like a very tiny strip of foil). After a bit of use, this could fold so making the edge less sharp.

Stropping will remove this piece and leave a stronger, sharp edge. I think that repeated bending by stropping will cause tiny pieces of this weak edge to break off.

I believe it can be done by stropping on plain leather, but some people also put on a stropping compound, e.g. a fine metal polishing paste (such as Solvol Autosol).

I may, of course, be corrected by more knowledgeable folk on here.

Geoff

Last edited:

Jakata

Dec 16, 2009
Northampton
Thats good to know, I stropped my knife for the first time the other day and was a little worried with the flakes that came off, its only a cheap mora but I would like to perfect sharpening before I buy a serious knife.

I used a leather wallet as I do not use leather belts.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Just remember that sharpening on a course stone can make a knife feel very very very sharp. Which it is, but you create serrations that are a lot bigger that you will get on a fine stone, and they break of easier too. So you need to sharpen it more.

If you have been doing it this way then go to a finer stone it will feel like nothing much is happening for a fair while. But once you do get a good edge it will lasr much longer and only need occasional sharpening.

Hope this helps:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE