Sharpening a spoon knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I have a standard Frosts 164 single edge spoon knife and I can't work out a sensible way to sharpen it:confused:

I manage OK with my other knives but this one has got me stumped.

I have a 2" wide whetstone(1000/6000) and a DC4 + a edge pro apex system but I just can't work out how to sharpen the spoon knife.

Can anyone give me any pointers? It's doing my nut :cussing:

Cheers

Grebby

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've recently had really good results just lately with a diamond sharpener from B&Q, sort of a 'D' shaped rod thing in a pen-like holder, cost about a fiver I think, found amongst the garden stuff, along with the 4 sided diamond stone.

Dave

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Get a round ceramic rod like you see on crock stick sharpening sets and use that to hone the edge. Very fast, very easy, very sharp. I think someone is advertising giving rods away for free on this site, might be worth a look see ...

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Get a round ceramic rod like you see on crock stick sharpening sets and use that to hone the edge. Very fast, very easy, very sharp. I think someone is advertising giving rods away for free on this site, might be worth a look see ...

Since the bevel is on the outside, I'd have to disagree on that one. Get rid of the secondary bevel and sharpen with a flat stone or sandpaper.

hook_knife_sharpening1b.jpg

I like to use sandpaper backed by hard rubber to smooth the bevels.

hone1b.jpg

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
It's the secondary bevel that's causing me grief. The answer would apear to be get rid of it.

The inside of blade is not a major problem as I just run ceramic steel over it to clean off the burs as I try to sharpen the outside.

I'll have to see what I can do about removing that secondary bevel from the outside.

Cheers

Grebby

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
It's the secondary bevel that's causing me grief. The answer would apear to be get rid of it.

The inside of blade is not a major problem as I just run ceramic steel over it to clean off the burs as I try to sharpen the outside.

I'll have to see what I can do about removing that secondary bevel from the outside.

Cheers

Grebby

Exactly! :) Just don't put a bevel on the inside edge. Keep the ceramic rod flat. Glue a piece of leather to a wooden dowel, smear with compound, and use that to strop the inside edge. Keep the strop flat too.

davefish

May 11, 2009
essex
Hi all, first post here!
I have the same problem with a spoon knife and am thinking of removing the bevel on it. Does anyone have any simple way of doing this? The curved blade makes it very tricky.

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE