Sharpening a Machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
Morning all. As the snow falls outside iv just taken receipt of my first machete. £10 got me a low quality but full tanged high carbon blade (from Brazil)

Well, it was delivered with practically no edge. Just a poor factory attempt leaving a good 1mm as an edge :lmao:

Well.. its far too big and unmanageable for my waterstones and bench grinder so im left with a metal hand files !!

A few websites have said just to put the blade in a vice and go hammer and tongs with a coarse file and work my way down with coarseness.

A good method ?? Advice appreciated here.

Thanks, ed

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I've got the same job to do with an army suplus machete, I thought I would give my axe stone a go.

The blade on the British Army machete is not too long for this, even my waterstones may be viable.

Stewey. :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ted,

Are you trying to convex it (as a lot of experts suggest for impact cutting tools) or put a good sharp secondary bevel on?

Red

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Filling is probably the best option!

Unless you have an extra coarse diamond stone (will cost 8 times more than the machete)

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
British Red said:
Ted,

Are you trying to convex it (as a lot of experts suggest for impact cutting tools) or put a good sharp secondary bevel on?

Red

If i knew what a convex edge was ???? :confused:

At the moment,iv tried putting on a second bevel. Its cutting "ok" but gets blunt QUICK ! I think the bevel is far to small..

What kind of bevel and edge is best for a machete ?

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Sounds like you need to find someone with an Edge Pro to put a good edge on it (Sorry I have one but I live way too far from the UK to help out) then you need to convex it on a mouse pad setup to give it some durability. (check out the tree rats thread on 5 pound sharpening)

You want about 25 degrees for a machette, maybe 20 if its decent steel. if its a cheap piece of junk then you know the saying....you can't polish a turd :)

Is it a Tramontina? If so, it should be fine with 20 degs.

I have a TOPS Armageddon that really needs some work doing on it. I have sharpened it to 20 and the cutting improvement from 25(ish) to 20 was remarkable. TOPS are overpriced and contrary to marketing they are CNC'd not 'Handmade' unless you consider fitting the handle scales by hand, 'Handmade' :rolleyes: Still, at least it looks like the heat treat is OK.

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
Here's what I do.

I have a 5£ Transmontina, nbr of years old.

I use a stone (dual sided coarse and less coorse). I hold the machete in one hand and run the stone over it, in both or one direction. The less coarse side. Holding at about the right angle, no precision needed whatsoever.
The flexibility of the blade puts the right pressure on it.

I know this sounds like sacrilege to many, but it gets it blimmin sharp.

From time to time I need to do it a bit proper. For exapmle to remove nicks in the edge.
Then I use the coarse side first. And meybe even some water.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
If there's no edge at all then a big file (if that's all you have) will get it ready to sharpen.

I have a small belt sander in my shop that I use for rough shaping of knives, axes and machetes. I use 60 grit to start and work up to 220 then the diamond stones take over. That really speeds up the job!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE