Shangri La 5 owners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I have one, with the nest.

The nest gives it a rather odd shaped sleeping area that is difficult work out how you should use it. I also find it tricky to get the nest pitched properly, it always seems to end up touching the outer, and I spend more time than I would like, fiddling to try and get it right. The seams leaked when I got it, now sealed and fine, and the cover for the air vents are too small and vertical rain blows into the tent, but I think has only been a problem twice.

The steep slope of the sides means there is far less usable space than you think, and for the same reason , you don't need to be too tall, before you can no longer stand up in it.

In spite of all that, I like it, the space and height make it a really nice living space for two adults with very little weight. Its also been in some really bad winds. For the weight, there is nothing out there that can match it, and its well made.

If weight (and money) wasn't an issue then I would buy an Exped Venus III.

A couple of pics

_DSC0086_1_opt.jpg

And with a DD tarp as an awning

_DSC0090_1_opt.jpg

Both pics near Tintagel :)

Graham

Last edited:

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
hmm, you should pop down to tintagel again so I can have a good look at it!

-I'm spending 2-3 weeks camping in Sweden this summer so I want something I can stand up in and not have to crawl in and out of.
-Theres 38,000 others camping there and space is at a premium
-If I'm flying, weight is at a premium

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
We are in Cornwall fairly often, but not sure when the next time will be. When do you go to Sweden?

I don't backpack any more but I was looking for a small/compact tent that could form part of a compact camping kit, that wouldn't take up too much room in the boot.

A key criteria, as we get older, was something that didn't need us to crawl into it. The only two tents I found that matched my requirements were the Shrangrila 5 and the Exped Venus III. But if you are happy with a single skin there are others about, such as http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk/acatalog/Helsport_Lavvu_Light_Tent.html

Do you intend using it with the nest? I'm 5 10 and a bit and with the nest I can't stand up properly in the Shangri la 5.

Graham

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
off to Sweden at the end of July - I've also been looking at Tentipi tents, wow , they make the shangri la look cheap!!

its amazing how expensive the pyramid tents appear to be, and surely its a lot simpler design to make?? Even when comparing them to modern geo-dome tents with super space age materials and fabulously light carbon fibre poles!

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I dare say that with regards tothe expense, supply and demand probably has an influence. They seem to be the "in thing" at the moment, so I'm sure its being capitalised on.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
off to Sweden at the end of July - I've also been looking at Tentipi tents, wow , they make the shangri la look cheap!!

its amazing how expensive the pyramid tents appear to be, and surely its a lot simpler design to make?? Even when comparing them to modern geo-dome tents with super space age materials and fabulously light carbon fibre poles!

Most tents are made in China, including the Golite tents. The Tentipi is still made in Sweden and if you compare the prices with comparable high quality made in Europe tents such as the de Waard tents, coming in at around £2500 + then the prices seem about right.

Still a scary amount of money for a tent mind you.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE