SFA nicks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Right, my axe has lots of nicks on its blade :( this is because all the wood i plit is usually old fence pannels etc and has lots of well camoflaged nails and the like
How can i remove these ? wet and dry ? files ?
SFAnicks.jpg

Axenicks.jpg

thanks leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You can use a stone/wet n dry, but a file would be best to remove the metal back before sharpening as normal. It doesn't look too bad, you should be able to sort it out in no time. A diamond stone would work just as well, but take it steady as they can remove a lot of material quickly. If you need some diamond stones in future, I know where to get some cheap ones.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you are trying to carve with it, the nicks would spoil the finish, and it is supposed to be a sharp tool, so I suppose it should be kept sharp! It will affect the effectiveness of the tool, a blunt tool requires more energy to use, instead of chopping a tree down, you are beating it into submission! Once you get going, it doesn't take long to maintain an axe. If you sort the little dings out promptly, they don't get a chance to turn into big dings.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Get it sharpened Leon! I'm not having you take it to Woodlore in that state :(

If it bothers you, post it to me and I'll sharpen it!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
no axes aloud at woodlore unless you have specific permission :eek:
would prefer to sharpen it myself as i think i would learn alot from the process
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good.

Well A good crosscut (coarse) file, a fine metal file or diamond file and wet and dry is all you will need. As always - any help you need just shout

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have a course file and different grades of wet and dry but dont have diamons file
i think i know the basic princible from some of your posts in another thread but im not 100% sure and need some guidence please
thanks leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

B&Q do a four sided diamond sharpener and a bench mount for it now for £8 (might be £8.99) its perfectly possible to sharpen a convex on it even thought its "flat". Might be a good investment. Otherwise get a sanding block that grips the paper and glue a piece of mousemat or felt on it (Screw fix do a great one - cost me £5 for 3 plus postage - I was shopping there anyway so no problem).

Let me know which way you go and I'll give more advice

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok will get one soon, probably the cheaper version as i am already in debt to my mum lol
thanks leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

you can get cheap diamond hones in pound shops or e-bay. They;ll cost you way less than a fiver. (I looked for you last night). I've ordered a set to try of e-bay (because I think they will work better on an axe than the square block. I'll let you know how I get on with them (I'm going to do a proper axe sharpening tutorial so a variety of tools will be tested)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok will have a look next time im in town ;) cant wait for this axe tutorial you talk about sounds great
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There's a place called KDA just up the road form me that does little DC4 sized diamond stones for about 3 quid a pair, and then a pack of 3 stones that are about bench stone size in area for I think about a fiver.

They crop up in pound shop type shops aswell now and then.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would suggest the larger sized ones for home sharpening although the diddy ones might be good for field use

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Is that dangerously like a group buy offer?

Once I get my finances in order, it could be. This place I am talking about does all sorts of builders type stuff, the more you buy the less it costs. I could do with going down and making a short list of things that could be useful to a buscrafter and their relevant prices. I picked up apointing trowel in their for a couplof quida while back, brilliant for digging small scrapes and moving embers, etc.

I must say now, though, they aren't as good as a DC4!:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE