Sewing webbing

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve just ordered a roll of 50mm dogtooth webbing to make some longer tree huggers for my HH.

Does anybody know if a domestic sewing machine will up to the task of securely putting loops on the end. I should have probably thought about this before buying it.

I`ll borrow my mums machine if it`s possible.

Rich

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I always sew my webbing by hand, it can be tough to push the needle though sometimes. I use a sailmakers palm.

I have never experimented with a sewing machine but would be inclined not to use someone elses

(I will say I asked a proffesional seamstress and she said it would be fine, to use a denim needle, and not to do it if the motor struggles)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks Tengu

I must admit I would probably prefer to do it by hand just for peace of mind.

Okay next question, is there a strong hand stitch you can recommend for sewing in a load bearing loop ??

Rich

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have sewn masses of webbing on a standard "New Home" domestic sewing machine.
Use a realy good polyester thread and a 100 or Jeans needle and you should be fine.
Sew several lines of stitches, oversewing each line a couple of times and/or sew a square of stitches with lines of stitches forming a cross inside the square. Always oversew the start and finish of the stitching whatever you chose.
Good luck
John

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Saddle stitch or back stitch. Duuble running would do too.
If you send me a pm with your address I'll send you some green thread meant for army webbing that I'll wind off my 10,000M cone.
That stuff ought to match your webbing. If you use upholstery needles they ought to work well without shredding the fibres of the tape or being really hard to push through the webbing.

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for tips guys, I love this place

PM incoming Toddy, that`s mighty grand of you. Do you want anything for P&P ??

Rich

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'll send you a couple of heavy duty denim needles for the sewing machine if you want fella.

Toddy, if you fancy selling 20m or so of that webbing I'd be keen.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll send you a couple of heavy duty denim needles for the sewing machine if you want fella.

That would be great Dougster

I`ll have a chat with my mum later and see if I can call over for the machine one night.

I`ve just aquired a roll of waterproof microfibre, sandwiched with polyster wadding and a nylon backing. I`m going to have a bash at underblanket at the same time.

Rich

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I've got a simple White portable sewing machine, and I've sewn up 4 different tents, and many canvas bags with it - including attaching lots of webbing. I use a Sears #18 needle - but most any heavy-duty needle will work. I also use cotton-wrapped polyester for thread. The polyester core gives it strength, and the cotton wrap matches in with the cotton canvas.

With webbing, you do have to do something to stop the ends from unravelling. Like was mentioned before, I als will use my machine and sew a number of zigzag stitches along the ends, or severa stitch several lines across or parallel on the webbing - anything to keep the cords in the webbing from pulling out. I have also lapped cloth or Leather around the end of webbing and stitched it in place. That leather also adds its own extra strenght to the end of a strap.

When sewing through multiple layers of canvas and/or webbing with my portable sewing machine, I often turn it slowly by hand instead of using the electric motor. It's much easier to control it that way, and adjust to how well it is stitching through the material.

I've even sewn some light leather with my machine, but only occasionally. But so far I haven't tried sewing carpet - for when I am sewing up traditional carpetbags. It's just too thick to feed through. So those I just stitch by hand.

Here's a couple pics of the last carpetbag I made. New carpet, canvas lined, wood bottom inserted, metal folding rim, leather trimmed, and leather covered rope handles. It is made in the style of carpetbags from the mid to late 1800's. Yes, I'm a Yankee Carpetbagger!

carpet.jpg

carpetrose3.jpg

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
as its not your machine Shewie, I would make sure your mother is fully aware of what you are going to be doing with it.

My seamstress told me that older machines are better for heavy work, as they are built to last

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've found the best way to seal fraying paracord ends is to coat them with superglue where you want to trim off for a few millimetres either side, wait for it to dry and then cut off the bit you don't need. The superglue keeps it all together. I reckon it would work to a degree on webbing too. Either that, or heat up an old knife to red hot and just cut with it. It will seal the end as it goes. Trying to melt the end with a lighter usually ends up with big blobs and a right mess.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I've never had a problem sewing webbing with my machine, through 2 or 3 layers off the stuff. Going slowly and using heavy-duty needles should be no problem.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Saddle stitch or back stitch. Duuble running would do too.
If you send me a pm with your address I'll send you some green thread meant for army webbing that I'll wind off my 10,000M cone.
That stuff ought to match your webbing. If you use upholstery needles they ought to work well without shredding the fibres of the tape or being really hard to push through the webbing.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks very much for the thread Toddy, I`ve knocked up a couple of long tree huggers for my Hennessy today.

I`ll put some piccies up later when I get round to it. My needle work isn`t exactly seamstress quality but it`s as strong as an ox.

Rich

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shewie said:
Thanks very much for the thread Toddy, I`ve knocked up a couple of long tree huggers for my Hennessy today.

I`ll put some piccies up later when I get round to it. My needle work isn`t exactly seamstress quality but it`s as strong as an ox.
You're welcome, glad it worked out.
atb,
M

Sorry, I didn't supply the webbing but I can send you some suitable thread. It was Shewie who found the webbing for himself.

cheers,
Toddy

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I've had an 'Awl for all' for years.

http://www.awlforall.com/

OK it's slow by hand, but it'll go through really thick stuff and always stays in the repair bag when I'm out and about!

I've nearly always sealed webbing with a flame. I have used super glue, but found a flame is usually closer to hand than glue.

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE