Sewing machine birdsnesting under plate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Hi. I have a treadle singer 66k which sews very smoothly and is a dream to use... I also came across a treadle singer 201k on ebay and couldnt resist when i saw in the last 5 minutes it still had 0 bids so i got it for 99p! Bargain!!!

Its in great nick, i've had it a while now but i haven't been able to use it much because of work and looking after and training a puppy!

Anyhow... I seem to be struggling to get it to sew well definitely threading it right (back to front to the 66k and bobbin in right way, etc) when i take the bobbin plate off and sew a piece of paper i see all the action happening as it should needle goes down starts going up hook picks up thread loops over bobbin thread and repeats fine...

But when i try canvas and 40s thread this happens...

d3a61fee1732b231301039c6e22dd403.jpg

Whatever this is...

I have tried upper tension over all its range and it just keeps happening.

Ive given the bobbin area a good clean out also.

Any advice :)

Its great having reverse with the 201k!!! So much easier to lock in the stitches at the start and end.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Amazing, I change the bobbin over to red 40s thread and the upper thread to biege 40s thread so I can see what's happening on the 15oz olive canvas and start with 1 layer - stitches fine, 2 layers - fine then 3 layers... stitched fine

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Well from my experience of sewing machines, your gonna need to input a bit more info. Is the material and stitching mooving along, or do you not get that far and it just snarls? Is it making several loops in the one stitch, ie is the top thread accompanied by several loops beneath, or is it several top stiches. The feet may be weak, or may be too strong, the foot may be too low.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Well from my experience of sewing machines, your gonna need to input a bit more info. Is the material and stitching mooving along, or do you not get that far and it just snarls? Is it making several loops in the one stitch, ie is the top thread accompanied by several loops beneath, or is it several top stiches. The feet may be weak, or may be too strong, the foot may be too low.

Hi, I think it's safe to say this thread can be ignored now. I'm not sure what was happening before but for now it's working fine.

Before: the fabric was moving along, the stitching along the top looked great but the sewing machine would come to a halt and everything then jams and then underneath the plate where the feed dogs are is the mess above - and it would do that endlessly.

Then as soon as I give up after checking everything I could think of I post here and it works... hmm

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Have you tried a different foot? Looks like you have a narrow foot with offset toes. A wider one may help. Adjust foot plate tension.
Also check bobbin tension.
Unless you have scared it into submission .

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Scaring it into submission could be the right expression. Im fairly new to this sewing malarky so maybe when it realised i got the screwdriver out and was armed and ready it decided to play ball :) I've never tried the bobbin tensioner (i'll read up on that next). Ive checked the timing (following the tools for selc reliance guide) as i thought maybe that was it but in hindsight i guess if it was timing it'd simply be missing stitches rather than getting its knickers in a twist. I'll keep playing with it and if it happens again and i work out why hopefully this thread might become useful for someone else :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hard to say from a distance, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the feed dogs were not right, and when you removed the plate and untangled everything you've put 'em back in the correct position. Strange things have happened to mine from time to time when using heavy threads like yours appear to be. Be sure you have a good understanding of things before you play with the bobbin tension, though; here be dragons!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE