Sewing: good material for outer layer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Hi all,

I'm thinking about starting a sewing project (first ever) this winter and thought making a single layer jacket would be nice.
Are there any recommended fabrics for an outer layer that'll be used in the wood and doesn't have to be water proof but should be comfortable when active as well as fairly wind proof?
I'm thinking in the lines of some polycotton, but since I'm new to this sort of stuff: what materials would you recommend? Price is also an issue since the chance of ruining it are very real :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance! :)
Lasse

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
lightwieght Oilskin or rather the cotton canvas used to make waxed jackets. You can buy it on ebay I believe, in different colours (& you will have the choice to wax it should you wish it to be waterproof ) it will be windproof & should stand up to some serious abuse........polycottons will be thinner, lighter, quicker drying & probably cheaper.:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think cotton Drill or polycotton would fit the bill ...google Point North - they have a great range of fabrics for every job, recommend each fabric for an apropriate job and will send out tiny swatches for you to lookat so you can work out what you want
Pennine Outdoor are pretty good too....
I used to sell my DIY gear and cloting books through both of these outlets and rate them both - they still have a few patterns that I did for them as well :)

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks for the replies!

About polycotton: are there big differences apart from blend (fe 65/35)? Are some much denser woven and more wind resistant or is that mostly the same?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE