Sew far sew good

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
This year I'm planning to bugger off as much as possible. But since I'm time rich (unemployed) and money poor (unemployed) I have to make my own kit. So I've made my first ever hammock from 1.1oz ripstop nylon - 230g less straps. I'm still amazed how such lightweight material can support my weight.
I've also done a 2.4x3m silnylon tarp 360g.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
how are the straps connected to the ripstop?

I made some similar hammocks, just used an overhand knot at the ends. Lay end of strap onto hammock end, tie overhand knot into end of hammock so that the strap is part of the knot. Works amazingly well.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
how are the straps connected to the ripstop?

I made some similar hammocks, just used an overhand knot at the ends. Lay end of strap onto hammock end, tie overhand knot into end of hammock so that the strap is part of the knot. Works amazingly well.
I whipped the end of the hammock and then knotted the hanging cord behind this. It hasn't dropped me on my **** yet.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
DIY is not just because it is economic - DIY it getting closer to the ideal of making custom gear that is just how YOU not some designer wants the gear to be, perform and look! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE