Sensitive Bushcrafting - Ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Inspired by Kae1's thread, I thought I'd kick off a sensitive Bushcrafting thread to promote good practice. I hope contributers will cover a range of subjects including trimming, felling, food prep, cleaning up etc. It might even become a sticky for newcomers to view and take heed.

I'd like to start if I could with a simple one which is close to my heart.

Fires:
  • If you're lucky enough to be able to have an open fire, cut away the turf (if on grass) and replace the turf when you've finished. This prevents scorchmarks.
  • Only have a fire large enough for your pruposes
  • Contain your fire to stop it spreading too much
  • Beware of fire spread during dry spells
  • Always pour water over your fire (even if you think it's out). Collect up the wet ash and distribute well.

Please feel free to add to this or start your own subject area.

Cheers,

Pablo.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
[*]Always pour water over your fire (even if you think it's out). Collect up the wet ash and distribute well.
[/LIST]

With a acid soil i think you should pee on your fire instead. Ash is alkaline and it should be nutralised in some way before disposing as it may harm acid-loving plants. Ash and pee do react with each other and give off a smell that may encourage other forest dwellers to add to your product.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
With a acid soil i think you should pee on your fire instead. Ash is alkaline and it should be nutralised in some way before disposing as it may harm acid-loving plants. Ash and pee do react with each other and give off a smell that may encourage other forest dwellers to add to your product.

That's a belter, never knew that but I'll start it now!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Keep fires small, to use as little wood as possible. Small creatures of the woodlands use the wood and also need it as home and food. Its part of the ecology of the woodland and the less we use the more for the woodland decomposers.

Fungi release chemicals to break down dead plants or animals into simple substances. They absorb some of these substances for growth, but others enter the soil.

Earthworms digest rotting plant and animal matter as they swallow soil. The waste that comes out of their bodies at the other end contains the important minerals, all ready for plants to take up again.

Bacteria are tiny, microscopic organisms. Some kinds live on other living things – for instance, there are millions inside your gut helping you to digest your food. Others live on dead things, and help break them down into the minerals in the soil.

Taken from the RSPB website.http://www.rspb.org.uk/youth/learn/foodchains/decomposers.asp

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Do not remove layers of bark from tree's it damages them
Take your litter with you

and above all respect the place

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
When pruning or removing a branch from a tree cut it off in sections so that the weight doesn't just snap the branch and damage the trunk, try to remove it in three sections the last leaving about an inch, cut in a sloppng angle so that water can run of the cut and not encorage rot.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Further to what jojo said is that a wood with a lot of rot and decay will probably be very healthy and varied habitat for a diverse range of flora a fauna.
Managed woodland often removes much of the diversity.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
On the subject of fires - if there is an already established fire circle or pit (as there is in most popular wild camping spots in Scotland), use it.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
After you've peeled a bit of birch bark for firelighting the tree should look like this...

birchgood.jpg

Not like this (wait till I catch 'em!)...

birchbad.jpg

Have your fire in a firebox or similar, there is no need to go leaving big scorched fire sites left right and centre. When leaving your camp there should be no trace of you being there.

Scoops

Yonderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 17, 2007
NW Alberta, Canada
My pet peeve.
I've seen living, healthy trees cut down for firewood use when there's been plenty of windfall and dry, standing dead stuff available.
Nothing but pure ignorance or a total lack of respect IMO.:cussing:

I am very conscious of the fact that a great many of us do have the greatest respect for the little bit of green stuff that we have left and again there are a great number of people who don't. I've posted extensively on SOTP about my disgruntles over bushcraft practice in sensitive sites in the wilds of Scotland. It makes me angry when it is done in the wrong way in the wrong place. Someone once said "If you are going to be angry, it is hard to know how to be angry, and with who, with the right anger and at the right time." This goes with Bushcraft. It is important when, where and how you can do it and to what degree in the right place if that makes sense? And this is what causes bushcrafters to come into conflict with concservationists, landowners etc etc.

We should all show a great sense of sensitivity and responsibility in our practice and remind ourselvres that we are not only accountable to our chosen gods and self but to others as well. And as we tread on our own path seeking the light of wisdom, let us all walk together with sensitivity and respect to the land on which our path lies.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Spend a few minutes after yoouve packed your stuff ,just before you leave to double check,you haven't left any rope on the trees you used or rubbish etc or any telltale signs you have been there.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Good one Lodian, I went back to my camp today since i left something and sadly left a bit of string on a tree (Y) i will remember that :D

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Always take a rubbish sack with you and on the way out pick up any rubbish you find. Keeping the area clear protects wild life and reduces pollution.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Be extremely careful with fires in summer time, even if it has been raining for days, it is still a lot drier than during autumn, ground fire is hard to detect, and even harder to put out. Be pessismistic when checking the ground for your fire place, if any signs at all of the possibility of ground fire, chose another site.

On the subject of burning plastic, a lot of plastics will only produce CO2 and water vapour when combusted so it might be okay sometimes, I don't condone it, but if your on a longer trip... But try to bring all your (and others) rubbish with you.

If you use latrines, make them deep enough (at least a meter for the solid stuff, eyh?) and cover up well, they shouldn't be detectable afterwards. Make sure the whole group use them, so you don't go everywhere around camp.

If you make your own fire rings (which you shouldn't, there is no need for that really, other than to hold a bbq net) scatter the stones afterwards.

Don't cut living trees, unless you have explicit permission from the land owner (that counts at least here in scandinavia, bet it does in the uk as well). Living trees for firewood is downright stupid, anybody even contemplating about that should go through campfire 101 again.

Never leave any structures or camps you've might built, for the sake of wild life and fellow woods enthusiasts.

Always respect wildlife and admire it from a distance. Especially birds during spring.

And as mentionad a couple of times before, but can't be stressed enough, leave no trace.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE