Seen 10,000B.C.? Think you can do better?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Apply behave and act like a complete muppet, one in the last other group, asked if could take his mobile.
Also add you are scared of spiders, vegetarian, don't like the dark, what else?

see simples!

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Maybe they mean could you do better at running the series, rather than taking part?

Mind you could do with getting on, acting like my 8 yr old and still lose about 3 stone! Nice wee, break in a hotel in the middle of it for a few days.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If people with lots of the right skills don't apply, then how will you ever know if they are always excluded?

And they did include someone with some skills eg I think he said he had lived in various habitats and could use a bow and arrow. And for whatever reason he wasn't there at the end.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I haven't watched the programme, though I did hear a very little about it from someone who knows someone who was 'consulted', and wasn't impressed.

I would like to see a good one though, with folks like the really good instructors involved. People who actually can and do make everything from the skin out, know how to make a life, know how to work effectively, where and when, and what to use to do it.

Thing is however, having seen what the so called 'reality' show makers have done with things so far, no reputable instructor is going to want to be involved :sigh:

It's a shame, it really is. There are some incredibly skillful and capable people, but all we see are the poor mugs who seem to be set up to fail.

M

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
100% with you there Toddy, not only will instructors not volunteer but many who have some practicable skills will shy away or as someone I know be discarded for being too knowledgeable.
I do not watch the programmes because the underlying hope of failure is too apparent, often backed up by what I read here or elsewhere. Very sad state of affairs really.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
A mate of mine sent me the application form he was sent which is round two, if anyone fancies a jump start drop me a PM and I'll send it on - what they ask is moderately interesting.. Deadline for application is 26June.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
A mate of mine sent me the application form he was sent which is round two, if anyone fancies a jump start drop me a PM and I'll send it on - what they ask is moderately interesting.. Deadline for application is 26June.
No Thanks, I'm not having a Hairy, smelly unwashed man copping a feel at my Moobs whilst spooning me for all you guys entertainment and possible ridicule.....No Chance.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
It's for a television show. Media people are only interested in one thing, drama. They will choose the participants and set up the scenario in such a way as to provoke that, and if it doesn't happen naturally they will create it. THey cannot conceive of the idea that there might be other things of interest.

Some years ago there was a programme produced here that put several scientists in a wild place and gave them a variety of tasks such as painting on hand made paper with natural inks, or making soap. They were clearly pushing hard to get the scientists to disagree and fight with each other but the scientists refused to play the media games and the programme was fascinating from a practical scientific point of view as a result.

I've seen the inside of 2 fly on the wall programmes now, and both convinced me that I would never, ever participate in anything of the kind.

Sadly, I'm with Toddy. There are loads of interesting people with all sorts of skills but they won't ever get on programmes of this kind.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
When I first saw this advertised for the first series, I was genuinely excited that it was going to be something different but even the first episode pointed towards what it was going to be about. It wasn't about surviving, nor was it an experiment, it was just another reality mess hiding behind an amazing location and a pre built village.

If they'd had to put the hard graft into building their own shelter, that would have brought the group together from day one. But then there would be no time for 'interesting' back stories or pointless posturing.

They deliberately pick those who will moan and conflict with others for the purpose of entertainment. Won't be watching a second series.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Surely, in this day and age we don't need the big tv companies. Couldn't a group of a dozen of us, head to a scandiwegian island, with a pile of Go-Pro Cameras, a couple of DSLR's, and what ever basic starting kit we agree on. Make our own version, showing how it should be done. Stick it on gootube or vimeo or some such?

The barrier to entry is gone. TV stations and production companies are no longer the gate keepers and guardians they once were.

We could do this. For science.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE