Securing a DC4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
:confused:

When in the field, I carry a DC4 fallkniven and popular 3 nails configuration to secure the stone to a log/stump but I find it very inconvenient and often they'll either not go into the wood, need a more substantial 'hammer' (but then bend) or get stuck in the wood... (Although I now combat this by assuring I have my gerber suspension for the pliers to pull them out)

Surely there's a faster, easier way than this??

Many thanks, Lewis

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've done this sort of thing with my DC3...

[video=youtube;EyyqiGTXyWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyyqiGTXyWQ&list=PLZLa gqylZ3j5ElIjYloDSmrnA1DtqJobe[/video]

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Um.. or learn to use it in the hand like anyone without a hotel for a camp site?..

I didn't think people actually did that mearsy thing and nail it down! seriously, what's wrong with doing it in the hand? It's easy, safe and just as good with the very little practice.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Um.. or learn to use it in the hand like anyone without a hotel for a camp site?..

I didn't think people actually did that mearsy thing and nail it down! seriously, what's wrong with doing it in the hand? It's easy, safe and just as good with the very little practice.

Eventually I hope to, but for now, free hand sharpening on a dc4 seems very inconsistent to me.. Perhaps it's my hold and lack of practice. You don't need a hotel for a campsite to carry a few tacks with a dc4...

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks copper head.. This should work, maybe a larger piece of wood though, and measured better than on here.. How did you find it?

Well it works after a fashion, I think the DC3 is a little too small. Probably be better with a DC4.
I normally get a good edge on my bench stones which will stay sharp for a couple of days of general use camping out. If I really need to touch it up I strop it on my belt, brings the edge back well enough.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
:confused:

When in the field, I carry a DC4 fallkniven and popular 3 nails configuration to secure the stone to a log/stump but I find it very inconvenient and often they'll either not go into the wood, need a more substantial 'hammer' (but then bend) or get stuck in the wood... (Although I now combat this by assuring I have my gerber suspension for the pliers to pull them out)

Surely there's a faster, easier way than this??

Many thanks, Lewis

Use three screws and a Swiss Army Knife screwdriver. Will go in and come out easy. Keeps it cheap, light and simple.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Dump the DC4 and get a DMT Dia or Duo fold, not much bigger and has a built in handle and two grit sizes, perfect for the job :)

Cheers, Paul

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
A small strip of non slip rubber that they sell in Halfords etc for keeping stuff from sliding all over the dash works very well, cut it to the same size or slightly larger than your stone and your done.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The problem with using nails/screws is if you catch the blade on the off stroke you will end up with a worse edge than you started with. If you make sure the knife is sharp before you leave home all you need to do is a quick strop in the field to maintain the edge, saying that if its got a decent heat treatment you shouldn't need to do either for a couple of days unless dressing food where it needs to be really sharp.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dump the DC4 and get a DMT Dia or Duo fold, not much bigger and has a built in handle and two grit sizes, perfect for the job :)

Cheers, Paul

I agree - vastly superior sharpening tool. Used the DC4 for a while but the duafold is much better and easier to use well

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
A small strip of non slip rubber that they sell in Halfords etc for keeping stuff from sliding all over the dash works very well, cut it to the same size or slightly larger than your stone and your done.

I do this. It works well but the rubber can flex and alter the angle a bit so just don't push too hard. I cut mine just over twice the length of the stone so it folds around it when you push it into the leather case. It's a snug fit but with enough of a tab on the end of the rubber it helps to pull it back out again.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Thanks everyone, I've found some old no-slip netting like what you have under rugs on a laminate floor- does the job nicely, but ill keep all these in mind for when I'm out. I get a fantastic edge on the bench stones at home and didn't realise simply stropping the blade can bring back an edge... Ill give it a go..
Cheers

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
The pouch stops it slipping? I haven't got it to hand at the moment but I would have thought the leather pouch would slide just as easily? Would be nice if it didn't..

Yeah sort of if you're careful. If you have to clean off coarse rust it won't work though, too much friction.

mholland

Jan 3, 2013
cheltenham
Hmm not sure about the method shown in the video about carving a support for it, you'd need a sharp knife to cut that to sharpen your knife!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE