search and rescue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
Afternoon ladies and gents,
Been quite a while since I posted on here but I now find myself looking to the collective expertise of this wonderful community!

Any of you guys out there involved in Lowland Search and Rescue or Mountain Rescue?

Just joined the local ALSAR team.

Cheers!
Spud

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Yep,

A friend of mine is in the local SAR team, and I have volunteered as a body a few times now. I'm not upto doing full on SAR member, but I support them the best way I can, by getting lost :p

Have just volunteered to body for the local SARDA group too.

J

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Het Spud_23,

welcome me to the SAR family. It's a brilliant organisation and doesn't get enough credit for what it does.
im sure that you are going to have a brilliant time with your SAR group.

I've been a member of OxSAR for about 5 years now, and despite some horrendous finds, still enjoy it and hopefully will continue for some time yet.

I know there are a few others on here who are also members of their regional groups.

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
Thanks both, Wolf man maybe get the opportunity of working with you at some point? CamSAR are our sponsors, and I believe we have a mutual aid with OxSAR? Have my initial SARTech course in May, hopefully will be having a long association with them!

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
RAF MR Troop here, been involved just shy of 20 years mostly in Scotland but now in Wales. Hope you enjoy your time with your team.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Hi Spud,

Welcome to MREW. There are a few SAR members bumping around the site. You can get some good advice and support if its needed. I'm in a south Wales MR team and enjoying every minute of it!

Nigel.

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
Bit of an update,

passed my Basic Search Techicians Course so fully Operational pending passing Medical and Radio Comms assessments, loving it so far! appreciating the offers of support from the collective here at BCUK, attended my first meet in about 18 months last weekend, forgot how much I missed it!

Limaed, my original plan was the qualify as a Combat Medic in the RAF and Join the MR Troop however I was MD'd before attending Halton👎

Spud

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Glad you're enjoying been involved in SAR - can I ask what you had to do to pass the Search Technicians course and the level of medical experience required to qualify you as operational? Cheers

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
Search Techs course was MisPer Characteristics, H&S stuff, Search Techniques, Risk Awareness, Medical Support, Comms, Operations Control, Crime Scene Preservation, and MisPer Behaviour.
the medical experience for the basic course is essentially basic First Aid however most Team Members go on to become community First Responders after a couple months experience as Operational. We have a lot of medical capacity on our team In particular with CFR's, Ambulance Techs, Fire Fighters with advanced medical training, a Paramedic Trainer and an A&e doctor.

spud

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
MR member for SW team and coastguard rescue technician here; well done on making a rewarding commitment.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Thirteen years with the Scottish Mountain Rescue, now long retired too. Moved on to let some more younger lads and lassies join up. No lack of volunteers thankfully.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE