Sealskinz socks - on top or underneath Protrek trekking socks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
I've posted before about this godawful walk I'm doing soon. I anticipate getting wet feet and several blisters.

I've ordered a pair of sealskinz and a pair of protrek trekking socks that have protection at the heels, the toes and where I sometimes get rubbing underneath the lacing on my boots.

I was just wondering what people would recommend in terms of wearing both pairs of socks? Sealskins on top, or underneath?

Generally, does either set up sound like a good idea? ANy better ideas much appreciated!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
it might be an idea to wear your normal socks until the point your boots are wet through and then put on your sealskins, they then protect you from the wet boots, if you're going to be wet through from the onset then there's no point but if for the most part you'll be dry enough it might be worth it.
Have you thought about taping the potential rub areas, compeed etc? That might be enough to stop the rubbing and then just switch to sealskins as needed.

I've not looked at the other thread so I may be off by a mile :D

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
it might be an idea to wear your normal socks until the point your boots are wet through and then put on your sealskins, they then protect you from the wet boots, if you're going to be wet through from the onset then there's no point but if for the most part you'll be dry enough it might be worth it.
Have you thought about taping the potential rub areas, compeed etc? That might be enough to stop the rubbing and then just switch to sealskins as needed.

I've not looked at the other thread so I may be off by a mile :D
Tony, there's nothing that pertinent to this question in the other threads about the walk, so don't worry about that. Your ideas are good and make a lot of sense. I hadn't thought of compeeding as prevention rather than after-the-event. That is a definite option. I think I'll try your suggestions in training.

The only thing I'd say is normally on the walk proper my boots are wet and so caked in mud and I am so exhausted that I can't face taking them off after the first 20 miles.

I'm hoping for a "set-and-forget" solution.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd leave the sealskinz at home mate as they'll only fail on you after a couple of miles :)

Get some of the black MOD goretex socks instead

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's some here buddy but try some of the surplus stores online and see if they have any, you should be able to pick some up for about £8-10 a pair. Maybe try Kev at Endicotts too

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got 18 months out of my sealskins. I wear other socks underneath as they offer warmth and stay dry apart from a bit of sweat. Your feet go cold if you wear non-waterproof footwear like fell shoes over them and wade through puddles. The water cools the foot a bit but this is only brief. The inner sock will keep you warmer than one outside. Bear in mind a prolonged period in any waterproof sock will result in your foot getting wet from sweat and the white wrinkly effect you get from that. However, depending on which footwear type, it is better than not having them on.

I use sealskins (second pair now) with a liner sock through to my thickest normal walking sock inside the sealskins of course. Then I use my non-waterproof Walsh fell shoes. I used my old Montrail Highlanders in the lakes all last winter with no moore cold toes than when in boots with membranes. Perfect grip too. Just wish I could find a shop nearby selling Icebugs. its a Swedish brand designed for winter in that they have eiother fixed or removeable tungsten carbide spiikes. These are perfect on winter ice. Meant for winter running in colder climates but perfect IMHO for fast walking and fast packing in winter in the uk. Also good for mud and rocks too.

They will fail of course but I think 18 months of hard use counts a good wear for any sock. I initiall got them as the wind blew thorugh my fell shoes when I first started using them. It was only to allow me to get a month longer out of using them as they stopped the wind blowing through cooling my foot. They worked so well I ended up using them whenever the conditions meant my feet could get wet. A hot, dry summers day without risk of wet feet will see me leaving them at home, but in other cases I decide on the conditions as to whether to wear them. Heartily reommend them. They allow lighter shoes to be worn in a longer season IMHO. Lighter footwear = better agility, stability and less injuries for me so I'm happy.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Rich, thanks a lot. I will have a look.

Paul, thanks so much for the lengthy reply. What you say has rung true with me. It sounds like you got 'em to solve the problem I have, and that it worked for you. Encouraging news.

I'll hunt around for the MOD socks then try to give all combos a try-out.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Not much i can add here, if your feet do get wet dont forget to get your boots off and get your feet dry whenever you can to prevent any foot fungus.

Good luck with the walk!

Tom

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Can't remember when i got mine (sealskinz), but it was for sucessive Glastonbury trips...they must be 9 years old (?) and get used now when i know i'm walking through mushy ground or streams....only 2 - 3 times a year (which is probably why i don't own a decent pair of boots)

They have always kept my feet warm (although i get told my feet are like blocks of ice most nights...even though they feel fine to me :) )

so i only wear them for 8-9 hours at a time and can't say my feet have ever come out wrinkly.

I have the old mid calf lenght ones, although would be interessted to see how the knee highs work (could wade some big puddles in them ;) )

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Thanks MRUK. Good to hear. I'm eager to try 'em out now.

I went for the long socks as I remember the mud covering my entire lower legs last time!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have the new trekking calf length ones. GReat so far but the seam is across the top of the foot and around the bottom in the middle. A bit strange IMHO but it is not a problem so far.

If I had the option I would go for Rocky Goretex socks. They are thinner which allows you to sort out the warmth side of things with the under layer of socks. It is an American company that used to be sold over here back when there was a distributor over here. They lost that and now you have to find somewhere in USA to get them from. Not sure where myself. I think yhou might be able to buy direct but probably have to use one of those US re-direction services as I doubt they ship out of US.

I have heard that the Rocky Goretex socks are the best of their kind out there.

I think someone said something about keeping your feet dry. I have never had any problem walking or wildcamping trip myself with wet feet. I know a lot of people get obsessed with keeping feet dry. So much so that they are forever changing socks mid walk. Even when I use normal socks I have never had a problem. I do wear non-membrane footwear (fell shoes) when walking and wildcamping. I don't know if that makes any dfference. I do think your feet are often well designed to cope with water and it is often the stuff around them that causes problems. I doubt I will ever get any problems with the likes of trenchfoot or fungal issues other than the usual gym collected athletes foot.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
If you are going to tape your feet to prevent blisters then I find Zinc oxide tape (like fabric plasters but on a roll without the absorbant pad bit) really effective. You can get it from any chemist or even Home Bargains in the same area as plasters and it is cheap as chips. I find that this is much more economical than compeed for prevention and I just keep my compeed for using in the rare event that I do develop a blister somewhere.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Not sure if this was covered on your previous thread, but why are your boots still causing blisters?
if i was going off on a long hike, i'd make sure my boots were well broken in. Nothing removes enjoyment on a walk faster than blisters.
Try soaking them in warm water for a while them wearing them all day, just mootching about (wear a couple of thick pairs of socks) and this should naturally stretch the boot to fit your foot and get rid of any hot spots.
As for sealskinz, i have a pair that have seen over 1500 miles in 1 year and still got dry feet (and my feet are really weirdly shaped).
All the Best

Baggins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE