scraping moss off paving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
From time ti time I have to clear up carpets of moss which accumulate very fast on my paths. I generally use a dutch hoe to do the job. It works ok but is noisy and the blade tends to catch on slightly uneven blockworks. Yesterday I had a brain function, and instead of using the hoe, used a rake (the sort with springy steel teeth) but up side down. It was so much easier. The teeth glide over the surface smoothly (and relatively quietly) without snagging, and any moss (and weeds) get sliced just like that on the push cut, almost like you have a horizontal row of those safety cutters they use to cut seat belts. It made a previously tiresome task far pleasanter. Just thought I'd pass it on

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tidy :)

I bought a stiff yard brush from The Dustpan and Brush company (Yorkshire company, very good stuff and I'm happy to recommend them) and it's really kept on top of the moss growth this year :)

My neighbour uses a spray on moss killer, but it is toxic to aqueous life, and I have three small ponds in my garden, so physical effort it is.

I'll find a link to the brush folks, but I'll mind and give the grass rake a shot too.

M

p.s.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The pressure washer leaves my hands aching. It does work to clean the slabs though. Just it's a messy footer of a thing.
The brush is simple. I did try sand as Alison suggests but it was another mess and it didn't really help shift it any. I ended up with two bag loads of dirty mossy sand at the end the last time I tried that. I normally use sand on the lawns when I weed them but I didn't want to use this stuff because I didn't want to encourage anymore moss to grow among the grass.
I think you just keep trying until you find a way you can work with, tbh.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE