Scout Canoe Attempt 1

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Based on patricks £5 canoe, last night the scouts put together a skeleton for a canoe made from leftover Tonkin Bamboo. The plan is to cover with canvas (yet another old tent) and seal with boat varnish.....

DSCF4783copy.jpg

More pics as and when we reach the next stage.....Ultimately if this "works", I will get some ash and hazel and they can make several....can you imagine what the "District" will have to say :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 4605

stovie said:
can you imagine what the "District" will have to say :rolleyes:

Would love to be there when you show/tell them!

Fantastic project - something I might copy.

Are you covered for taking the Scouts out on the water though?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
As you all know, Ray Mears has close ties with the military, and he often gets roped into survival and special forces training. A friend attempted Special Forces selection this year, and on a briefing was shown a canoe that Ray had made from an old MFO box, the large boxes used to send kit through the freight system! He used umpteen rolls of black nasty to hold it together and I'd imagine to waterproof it a bit. He apparently got in it on the water and it worked a treat!

Love the bamboo frame, I can't wait to see the skin once it's put on and decorated. It just goes to show that you don't need to spend a lot of money on a canoe!!!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Buckshot said:
Great idea
I wonder if this can go towards a badge???

It goes towards the "DTD" badge...... :D Dodge the District badge :lmao:

seriously though, it could be squeezed into a number of badges....Depends on which one they haven't got..... :confused:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
spamel said:
Love the bamboo frame, I can't wait to see the skin once it's put on and decorated. It just goes to show that you don't need to spend a lot of money on a canoe!!!

I think my whole point here, spamel, with the tipi (cost £0) bamboo bows (£20) canoe (£0), is exactly that....and I always thought that one of the central tenets of bushcraft was "self sufficiency"...I like the idea of creating new out of old. in this day of disposable society, it's cool to recycle :cool:

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
stovie said:
I think my whole point here, spamel, with the tipi (cost £0) bamboo bows (£20) canoe (£0), is exactly that....and I always thought that one of the central tenets of bushcraft was "self sufficiency"...I like the idea of creating new out of old. in this day of disposable society, it's cool to recycle :cool:

yopu have got 100% ov my vote on that m8
chris

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You've got me there, I don't throw anything away, I'm like bloody magpie when it comes to shiney things and I hate to throw something away because I might need it one day!! And it has happened before, so I hoard :D

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
stovie said:

Tipi? :confused: Gotta find that thread!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
stovie said:
Based on patricks £5 canoe, last night the scouts put together a skeleton for a canoe made from leftover Tonkin Bamboo. The plan is to cover with canvas (yet another old tent) and seal with boat varnish.....

DSCF4783copy.jpg

More pics as and when we reach the next stage.....Ultimately if this "works", I will get some ash and hazel and they can make several....can you imagine what the "District" will have to say :rolleyes:

Stovie, I hope you don't mind me saying, but you really do need to put some kind of waterproof covering on the frame that you have made, cos without it it will sink. :)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Chopper said:
Stovie, I hope you don't mind me saying, but you really do need to put some kind of waterproof covering on the frame that you have made, cos without it it will sink. :)

Ye of little faith :lmao:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
It's taken a couple of weeks but the troop have stitched the canvas onto the frame and applied a first layer of paint. The question is,who's going to be brave enough to sit in it first??? :rolleyes: I'm far too big, of course.... :D

DSCF4805copy.jpg

DSCF4807copy.jpg

DSCF4808copy.jpg

DSCF4811copy.jpg

Not perfect, by a long shot, but an interesting exercise all the same....Any volunteers out there... ;)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I like this little canoe. It just shows what can be achieved by young people with a bit of ingenuity, time and a few inexpensive materials. Well done Stovie and your scouts :) :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE