Scottish skill share weekend(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i thought you might like a look at some pics from the Scottish skills share weekend at Commriecroft.

Myself and my daughter arrived on Friday morning to find Mary(Toddy) and Russ(Warthog1981) already on site along with Stuart69 and Vince(Windward) and no long after Stooboy arrived.
After getting set up,it was time to get on and help with camp chores,we put up Marys chute with the poles Russ had cut for the purpose(that lad works like a Trojan goodjob).
Stooboy,Mary and Sophie prepping veg under Mary's chute
comrie9.jpg

My daughter Sophie keeping an eye on the soup.
comrie8.jpg

The ever photogenic Mary checking the soup ;) i think she finally managed to get breakfast at about 3pm :rolleyes:
comrie7.jpg

Well as the day wore on more folks started to turn up.
Craigm9 having a chat with Russ.
comrie12.jpg

Johnc and his family setting up their Yurt.
comrie10.jpg

Then Andy(Everythingmac)arrived and started forging and just never stopped the whole weekend.
comrie11.jpg

So day wore into evening and after a great feed it was time for a few,small dry cooking sherries,much mirth and merriment was had round the fires.I turned in about 12ish,and i wasn't the last to bed for a change :D, the others managed to stretch it out until 4.30am.

Saturday saw a few wee sore heads and paracetamol breakfasts ;).
We opened the hall at around 10 oclock.It was,nt long for the barter/sales tables started to fill up,then began the shopping spree :empty:.

My table set up with Sophie taking it easy.
comrie14.jpg

comrie15.jpg

comrie16.jpg

So after some bartering,folk started to settle in showing off bits and pieces of skills Peter(Woodsman) ran a bow drill class,with a fair few folks getting an ember and blowing it to flame,he roped folks in for a group bowdrill.
comrie25.jpg

Mary had the kids enthralled making dream catchers and hand knitting.

Myself, i did hand drill work,Jason had a go,getting a feel of the set.
comrie17.jpg

I suggested that to get an ember that he team up and try tandem,so he got Coln18 to team up.
Colin and Jason team tandem.
comrie18.jpg

And yes they managed to get an ember.Well done guys.
comrie19.jpg

Mean while other things were on the go.
Craig and his mum Terry having a go at spoon making.
comrie22.jpg

Bing having the same idea.
comrie23.jpg

As the day started to wean Colin and Jason got started on abrading some bone barbs,Colin was rather chuffed he picked the biggest bit of bone to work with,but after a couple of hours at the grind stone,he came out with the statement aimed at Jason "thats no fair he has a smaller one than me":lmao:
I never knew there was such a thing as bone envy :D.
comrie21.jpg

The pair of them got the hooks finished on Sunday.

Well the Saturday night rolled on,so scoff was next on the agenda.On offer was jacket tatties kindly donated by Colin(Teribus) and a stew made by Nelly and his wife,upon eating it i found out that the green beans were not infact green beans but whole green chillies instead :eek:,lets just say i had,as Johnny cash sang,a ring of:campfire: :D. So there was nothing for it but have a swally to try and put out said fire,more laughs and turn in about 1am.
The sun setting over the snowy hills with Johns yurt.
comrie13.jpg

And the weather gods were on our side for a change.
comrie24.jpg

And even the big man took in the sunshine.
comrie.jpg

Well it was a great weekend and the company was superb :You_Rock_.

And for all the folks that missed it there will be another sometime,so keep an eye on the Scottish part of the forum.

I hope you get a feel through the pics of a cracking weekend.

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
looks great I was stuck at home all weekend!!! will do my utmost to attend the next weekend!

Thanks for posting the pics.

Glad you all had a good time.

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant :D

I do have photos, somewhere.........under the pile of stuff that's flooding out of the kitchen into the hallway :rolleyes:

cheers,
a totally camera shy Toddy :eek:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A great weekend, thanks to all.

Really nice folks at the Scottish meets - everyone was very helpful. It's also interesting that really nice folks seem to have really nice kids - and dogs too, for that matter.

The archery went well, with huge interest from the kids.

Was very impressed with Stuart's handiwork, and I'm going to have a go at making some fishhooks from natural materials.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Nice one Stuart, but i thought wee agreed to keep the my bone bigger than his bone story a secret, but it just shows big isnt always better....well so Jason keeps telling me Lol

Col...

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
there are some really great pics in that album Barn Owl. really enjoyed browsing through it.

I don't suppose anyone got a pic of me mid swing with the hammer?

andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I think i do mate, i took a good few pics of our 2 resident smiths at work, i will post them later on and if you want a copy i will email them to you.

Colin

yes please. :D - I will pm you my email addy.

I was just looking through Barn Owl's pictures and I must admit that I never noticed he was taking photos. lol. - not that I was engrossed in the work at all. :)

I do regret not getting to play with the bows. - maybe I will get my longbow up for the next meet. - just need to sort out some arrows and a string :eek:

andy

edit - Barn Owl - yes :D just like that. - very cool! :D:D

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
what a brilliant weekend, a great laugh and great to put a name to some face's even though i forgot them in five minutes later , a big thank u to andy and andy for the black smith's stuff goodjob, stewert's stuff was a amazing in the hall, what a talent:eek:
a big thank's ti the guy's that done the demo's ... and what a job mary done organising the hole thing goodjob and oor sean had a magic time , cheers for a great weekend ....:lmao::lmao:

Last edited:

CraigM9

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2005
Clackmannanshire Scotland
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Mary, Russ, Stu F, Andy and all concerned for the organising of the skill share meet, demos and barter tables...they were fantastic!

A great crack round the fire and always nice to meet like minded folk and put more names to faces - thoroughly enjoyed it!

Still can't believe Vince had Rick Astley in his I pod and Tam - I cannae get the image out my head of you round the fire listening to Black Sabbath's war pigs !!

Cheers to the wood gathering posse that went up the hill again on saturday - even that was a laugh.

Once again - a massive thanks and was nice to see you all!!

ATB,

Craig.

Last edited:

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Craig...now I think for the forum I need to clear up a wee point :) Rick Astley was in my phone but was part of a party play list of 625 tracks lol...can't say Im a huge fan of his. Anyone one else and I probably wouldn't have made this point clear...well maybe not anyone :lmao:

Got to say thanks again to everyone who was there for a great time and to all the photographers...some great pics appearing.

Whats the date for the next????????

Vince

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I can thoroughly recommend a march through the woods with flaming torches singing 'War Pigs'....(we were all denim,leather.hair and teeth then).

Certainly lets you have them to yourselves..:lmao::lmao:

Excellent pics Gaz,

Hey,what about dressing like Rick Astley in nice blazers... singing 'War Pigs' at the next one:)welcome1: to my world ):D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE