Schrade SCHF9 Regrind and rework project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
So today I began work on the SCHF9 I received a few days ago.

I got a bench grinder and immediately began by stripping off all the powdercoating (unavoidable as resolving the tip required the removal of so much metal, and left the powdercoat looking horrible).

The entire edge was reworked from the spine of the blade to the tip. It hasn't been sharpened yet, but it's now a "full flat grind" (if anything, slightly convex).

Basically, the edge wasn't all that bad at the base of the blade, but got progressively worse (more uneven and silly) leading toward the tip.

It took over two hours to get it to this stage:
DSC_0006.JPG

(Note: the edge looks a little odd owing to the way the light was reflecting off the "brushed steel" surface... trust me, the curve is perfect in real life)

I'm going to be carving my own scales out of either Cherry or Beech (depending on my mood, and the grain of the Cherry I have left), and adding rubberized spacers.

The next phase is the removal of the remaining powdercoat (there's the odd patch as you can see on the photo above) and polishing of the blade. I'll do this on Sunday (out in the woods tomorrow) then sharpen the blade fully.

I may or may not put a secondary bevel on, as the grind is quite shallow (as was the majority of the factory grind) and a blade this size would probably benefit from a 20 degree (per side) cutting edge.

The blade has been oiled and is now resting in its sheath :)

I'll update this post as the project progresses (what with new handles etc)

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
What did you use to do the work?

A bench grinder with 80 grain belt + wheel.

I've just put an edge on it (because I hate leaving a knife without some kind of edge) at 20deg per side... it's shave sharp (not that I particularly care about a shaving edge, but it's nice to know it'll take one now).

I'll be keeping it well oiled until I complete this rework, and I'm debating whether I should get it re-powdercoated or leave it bare metal (I quite like the bare metal look).

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
What did you use to cool down the blade while grinding?

Vegetable Oil.

Sounds weird, right? Worked great!

Basically I coated both sides of the blade with veg oil, worked them, while constantly feeling the temperature across the blade with my guiding hand, then re-coated whenever it got beyond just "slightly warm".

That's part of why it took me so long to regrind... I didn't want to heat the blade up too much (thus risking damage).

But yes... veg oil worked very well for me.

Andy W

Forager
Nov 22, 2010
Perthshire Scotland
I like what you have done with your knife, looks great. Funny enough I just had one of these delivered today, I like the knife and will leave it as stock the only thing I dont like is the sheath. I dont normally complain about the sheaths knifes come in but this one is not good. Looking forward to seeing yours once you have a new scales on it.

Last edited:

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I like what you have done with your knife, looks great. Funny enough I just had one of these delivered today, I like the knife and will leave it as stock the only thing I dont like is the sheath. I dont normally complain about the sheaths knifes come in but this one is not good. Looking forward to seeing yours once you have a new scales on it.

Just eyeball the entire working edge of the blade... see if it's all lobsided and uneven... I'd be interested to know.

If it is as bad as mine was and you want it regrinding, I'm happy to do it for you for the cost of postage (will even put a razor edge on it too if you'd like) :)

Andy W

Forager
Nov 22, 2010
Perthshire Scotland
Just eyeball the entire working edge of the blade... see if it's all lobsided and uneven... I'd be interested to know.

If it is as bad as mine was and you want it regrinding, I'm happy to do it for you for the cost of postage (will even put a razor edge on it too if you'd like) :)

Thanks for the offer, I will go and have another look, the blade looked okay to me but I am no expert, many thanks for the offer.

Andy W

Forager
Nov 22, 2010
Perthshire Scotland
Thanks for the offer, I will go and have another look, the blade looked okay to me but I am no expert, many thanks for the offer.

I have just had a bit of a look, its a cheap knife and I am a bit of a wood butcher, so I think I will leave it alone but many thanks for your kind offer.
However I am in the market for some one to make me a Kydex sheath if some one fancies a go?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE