Scarlet Elf cups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Sarcoscypha austriaca - Protected and poisonous. Do not pick or eat them! :)

That is odd, both the foragers calendar (john wright) and wildfood UK's foraging pocket guide (Marlow renton), also Golloway wild food don't mention either being protected or poisonous?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
They are both (austriaca and coccinea) described as 'possibly edible but not worthwhile' and, as they are virtually indistinguishable even by experts, I don't think I'd bother experimenting.

There are loads of fungi described in some books a 'poisonous' that in reality cause a minor or mild reaction in some people; I think it dilutes the meaning of 'poisonous' TBH.

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
This site, that I use a lot and trust, reckons very tasty and edible but require cooking before eating :)

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I suggest you try them yourself then; I found them virtually tasteless and not a very pleasant texture. However, I did not react badly to them.
There's a knack to cooking different kinds of mushrooms so they keep ir texture and don't go all mushy and you get the Malliard reaction that deepens the flavour (for some types anyway) :)

Dry saute them over a low to moderate heat to drive off most of the moisture, no fat or oil or anything else at this stage (very important or else they go soggy), increase the heat and saute more fiercely for a couple of minutes and add butter or oil and salt to encourage colour and the flavour that comes with it, then eat and enjoy ! :)

May not suit these particular types, I will have to try them when I next find some, but works well for other types from supermarket to hedgehogs, chanterelles, ceps, saffron milk caps, parasols etc so good chance it will I would think.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There's a knack to cooking different kinds of mushrooms so they keep ir texture and don't go all mushy and you get the Malliard reaction that deepens the flavour (for some types anyway) :)

Dry saute them over a low to moderate heat to drive off most of the moisture, no fat or oil or anything else at this stage (very important or else they go soggy), increase the heat and saute more fiercely for a couple of minutes and add butter or oil and salt to encourage colour and the flavour that comes with it, then eat and enjoy ! :)

May not suit these particular types, I will have to try them when I next find some, but works well for other types from supermarket to hedgehogs, chanterelles, ceps, saffron milk caps, parasols etc so good chance it will I would think.

Oh, I enjoy a wide range of fungi (including all the ones you mention and more) cooked in different ways from throughout the world but, compared to other mushrooms often described as 'tasty', these do not hack it. But, if we all had the same tastes there wouldn't be such huge variation in culinary options :)

Reactions: Paulm

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Oh, I enjoy a wide range of fungi (including all the ones you mention and more) cooked in different ways from throughout the world but, compared to other mushrooms often described as 'tasty', these do not hack it. But, if we all had the same tastes there wouldn't be such huge variation in culinary options :)
Grannies and eggs then, apologies !

Hopefully others may find it of some use :)

Sounds like you and I would enjoy ourselves around a campfire, although I wouldn't use any of your holly or other utensils though ! :)

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE