Scandi style sheath step by step (lots of pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
I thought it may be of interest to some to see a step by step on how I make a Scandinavian style sheath with a wooden liner.

If you would like to see pictures of the knife, see here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90910

First step is to make the liner. I start with three pieces of pine. I want the middle piece to be 1mm thicker than my blade and the total width of the three pieces to be the same thickness as the bolster. I then cut out the blade profile from the middle piece.

scandi sheath wip 1.jpg

I then glue the pieces together and carve to shape.

scandi sheath wip 2.jpg

Here is the knife wrapped in cling film on the piece of leather that will become the sheath.

scandi sheath wip 3.jpg

After I have soaked the leather I begin to form it around the liner and sheath. The white object is my bone folder.

scandi sheath wip 4.jpg

I like to start stitching from the tip. I use a stitch marker and do around 10 stitches at a time, molding the leather as I go.

scandi sheath wip 5.jpg

Stitching all done and I've punched a hole for the leather thonging I will use as a belt loop.

scandi sheath wip 6.jpg

I then trim the excess leather.

scandi sheath wip 7.jpg

Next I dye the sheath. I use Fiebings alcohol based dyes. I know others prefer the oil based stuff but I get on with this one. After the dye has dried I treat with a home made mix of natural oils and waxes which conditions and water proofs the leather and gives a nice sheen.

scandi sheath wip 9.jpg

And here's the happy couple

scandi sheath wip 10.jpg

I use my bone folder again to burnish the edges

scandi sheath wip 11.jpg

A sheath like this would typicaly take me around three hours to complete.

Hope this was of some interest. Any questions or comments please feel free.

Michael

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Great Work Mike, I can see a lot of effort goes into something like that. It looks like the seam isn't glued- however it looks like the edge is now one piece- is that down to the burnishing? or could you put a fingernail down the middle ( not that I would or course!)

And how did you take the picture of both or your hands? :)

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Thanks for all the positive comments!

Hi Nic. No the seem isn't glued, just burnished as you say. The magic ingredient is the waxes and oils I finish the sheath with. Basically you smear it on then rub like crazy with a piece of bone or anything smooth really and the seem sort of welds together. Some people use products made specifically for the job and others use pure bees wax.

As for the picture of both hands. You can't expect me to give away all my secrets ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE