Scandi Packpal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Mine arrived today, mine arrived today, mine arrived today. Sung to the tune of whatever you like. :nana:

It looks great and I will try and get some pics up as soon as I get hold of the camera which seems to live at my wife's work now.

Who else is waiting? It shouldn't be too long now. Allan is doing a great job producing these for the price. If he was charging twice as much they wouldn't be expensive (I can say that now I've paid for mine).

Bill

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Im waiting on an original spec. knife with natural micarta ,scales ,hollow rivets and a fire steel holder on the sheath.
Im really looking forward to testing this one.

rb

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think we got the same one Rb. The hollow pins look great and the firesteel holder and sheath as a whole look really functional. I don't have another kydex sheath so I looking forward to seeing how this one is out and about so to speak.

Bill

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
tenbears10 said:
I think we got the same one Rb. The hollow pins look great and the firesteel holder and sheath as a whole look really functional. I don't have another kydex sheath so I looking forward to seeing how this one is out and about so to speak.
Bill
I got an original and a scandi grind a couple of days ago (pic in the gallery), and they are excellent knives. Only thing that I will do is grind the spine more square on the scandi so that it will throw a better shower of sparks (I found it to be slightly rounded and the shower of sparks could be better - the stuff that Allan put on them might have something to do with that :?: ). The original style PackPal will be reserved for hunting only.
I am not really fond of kydex, although I have some of the stuff for making sheaths myself, but the kydex sheaths for these PackPals are the best I have seen. At the moment I don't even think that I will make a new leather sheath for them.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I don't think you will be disappointed Leon. They look really well put together and you would never guess what we paid for them. The kydex is a bit tight on mine but I think I can adjust that with a gentle blast with the hairdryer. I had a look at your photos Gerd and mine is the new design rather than the original spec.

Bill

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Tvividr said:
Only thing that I will do is grind the spine more square on the scandi so that it will throw a better shower of sparks (I found it to be slightly rounded and the shower of sparks could be better - the stuff that Allan put on them might have something to do with that :?: ).

Wont that take the finish off ??

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well guys, mine's a bushcrafter and is gonna be the nicest :nana: :wink: not quite sure what grounds i have for that since i have kinda forgotten what i ordered :oops:

But it was maple handles, no finish on the blade, firesteel, and adjustable carry :eek:):

On it's way to me this week!

:D

hootchi

Settler
Jake Rollnick said:
Well guys, mine's a bushcrafter and is gonna be the nicest :nana: :wink: not quite sure what grounds i have for that since i have kinda forgotten what i ordered :oops:

But it was maple handles, no finish on the blade, firesteel, and adjustable carry :eek:):

On it's way to me this week!

:D
Iv been thinking of one of those maybe your review? will tempt me. :eek:): they seem like exellent knives. everything about them, price, quality...

leon-1

hootchi said:
Iv been thinking of one of those maybe your review? will tempt me. :eek:): they seem like exellent knives. everything about them, price, quality...

Speak to MagiKelly, he already has one and time is the teller with any blade, I will wait for the scandi, but have other bits en route from Allan. Since I am in the middle of moving at the moment nothing will be forthcoming untill a while after then on what is due to arrive :wink:

leon-1

tomtom, a proper review could take months, needless to say it will be a good knife, but how it stands up to real field use could take ages to really find out.

Pictures for now should be fine, but it will take a fair time before you know the full capabilities of it in bushcraft use.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
leon-1 said:
Speak to MagiKelly, he already has one and time is the teller with any blade,
What can I say. It is comfortable to use, cuts things like a ..............err.................knife and sharpens well. Takes any abuse I have given it and never let me down. The only thing I have to point out is it has not seen a lot of heavy use. I use it often but not for really heavy stuff. It can take it but I do not need to that is all. From what I have seen of the competition it is the best value knife available.

My only other comment would be that if you prefer a shorter slightly thinner blade then the Scand Packpal is the way to go but either knife will serve you well. Or buy both, like I have.

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
I have a scandi packpal ordered with no finish on the blade which should improve sparks off the firesteel. Black Micarta handle with mosaic pins and firesteel holder on the sheath.

Looking forward to trying this beastie out but it's actually for the wife.

Tony

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
ScanDgrind said:
I have a scandi packpal ordered with no finish on the blade which should improve sparks off the firesteel. Black Micarta handle with mosaic pins and firesteel holder on the sheath.

Looking forward to trying this beastie out but it's actually for the wife.

Tony

Like you I have just ordered one too, but once SWMBO finds out I think she will be trying it out on me.
That said can't wait to get my sweaty little paws on it!

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Has anyone who has bought one recently got any idea of the waiting time?
I kmow I could mail Allan, but the guy is busy and I only wanted a ball park figure.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
beachlover said:
Has anyone who has bought one recently got any idea of the waiting time?
I kmow I could mail Allan, but the guy is busy and I only wanted a ball park figure.
I ordered a bushcrafter recently and was quoted 4-6 weeks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE