Scallop shells

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Am working on a regional recipe list for a Heritage open day at the swindon Mechanics institute Trust. I have lots of wonderful plans!

Like serving up kipper pate in scallop shells.

But, supposing you have some shell, how do you make them clean?

You can buy food safe ones, but you might already have them, or the Fishmonger have given you a few.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just soaked shells in salt water for a couple of days, took them out, scrubbed them really well, and then gave them another quick soak in Milton.....the stuff for cleaning babies bottles....£1 a litre for the premade stuff, but well diluted bleach does the same thing. Rinsed them off and let them dry.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks Toddy.

Can I use your Tablet recipe? I am committing myself to five recipes for each section, -and Scotland is full of very hard choices. I managed to cheat; the marmalade is Oxford recipe and so in that section.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
TBH Tengu, I use scallop shells for presenting 'starters' quite a lot, and I just wash them in hot soapy water giving them a scrub with the vegetable brush. Mankind has been using them to eat out of for millennia before we had disinfectant.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If Tengu is presenting in public though she has to cover the H&S risk assessments.
Something like shells....someone's going to ask :sigh:
Better belt and braces there I reckon.
Otherwise I'm in full agreement with Broch :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Toddy.

Can I use your Tablet recipe? I am committing myself to five recipes for each section, -and Scotland is full of very hard choices. I managed to cheat; the marmalade is Oxford recipe and so in that section.

Of course you can :)
How about quince jam though ? Quince grows here where oranges don't.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I've only space for five.

I got your Tablet in; isn't that good enough?

And like a certain poet, I must sing the praises of Haggis.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tablet's really good, but it's awfully sweet.
On t'other hand it'll be fine to be put out on a table without you worrying about it going off.
It can be very awkward demonstrating food.
Best of luck with it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE