Sawyer mini filter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Advice is needed please I've purchased a filter and used it a bit now I'm wondering about storing it, I've got it in a small dry bag, I've seen that others have mentioned about storing them wet, I take this to mean not letting it dry out!? Any other tips would be great..

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Got one of these too a great piece of kit, as for storing I presume it only matters if storing wet in cold conditions when it could possibly freeze inside, in such conditions keep it in pocket close to body warmth to stop freezing, normal conditions I don’t see that it matters. Incidentally I’ve replaced the large flushing syringe with a screw-top with a short piece of tube attached (the screwtop off an evo-stic wood glue bottle actually which fits platypus bottles) just screw it onto a bottle of water to back flush.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The instructions from Sawyer are to flush with dilute bleach before storing for a while and allow to air dry. Most of the water can be shaken out before storage. Milton solution works too, and that's just a much higher than normal dose of water purifying tablet.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
As in long term storage? or just for carrying?

Unless the water used to flush the Sawyer is treated with something that will inhibit growth of microorganisms, keeping it stored wet will allow them to eventually bloom inside the filter.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
reason to keep wet. - When new (and dry) initial use is slow. The fibres used need to wet out before reaching maximum flow rate. Hence keep wet on your trip, with frequent back flushing to maintain speed. When you get home, and want to store, the dirty side of the filter will contain some bacteria, however well you back flush with clean water, stored in a warm wet environment, bacteria will multiply. So backflush with mild bleach (to kill bacteria) followed by clean water,then allow to dry. On day before your next trip, run tap water through the filter to wet out the fibres. Do not allow to freeze, do not allow to get above 60 deg C. (expansion of water on freezing ruptures the fibres, 60 deg melts them, closing the pores.) Seems pretty obvious really.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Instructions for how to store the Sawyer filter are printed on the side of the bag.

Storage
For Long-term Storage:

1. Backwash the filter as outlined above.
2. Fill the pouch with water and add 1 capful of bleach.
3. Attach cap/filter to the bag.
4. Open push-pull valve and squeeze some of the bleach water through the cap/filter.
5. Close the push-pull valve and let stand for an hour.
6. Drain bleach water from bag and allow components to air dry.

Hope this helps.

Julia

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Yep got the instructions it was more a question of storage in a dry bag or not, what was meant by storing wet or not is it better to let it dry, and how others store theirs....😉👍

Sent from somewhere?

rg598

Native
I just shake it dry. Flick the filter in one direction several times, and it will drive out most of the water. I then just leave it be. I haven't had any issues. If you are worried, the standard solution for long term storage for most filters is to run some water with a few drops of bleach in it (as used to purify drinking water) through the filter. That way nothing will grow in it when stored.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE