Sauna Stones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Be wary of slate getting wet though…if the layers are at all accessible to water, then when heated they'll crack apart.
It's good as a bakestone, where it's kept dry and heated.

I'm pretty sure that years ago Match said that common house bricks worked well. Pretty easy to find bricks :D….or those fancier pavers, maybe ? :dunno:

M…with visons of testing exploding rocks :D, and having seen an awful lot of cooking stones that were shattered in the past due to thermal shock.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I will have a good look when I'm on a desktop as that site is VERY unweildy and unresponsive on my phone.

It looks like it could be just what im after though as im also looking for natural pigments.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See if you find any ? reds, rusts, yellows? would you let me know ? and if you're up for barter I'd love some to try for dye and for watercolour lake :D Doesn't need to be a lot, but I think it'd be interesting to try :D

M

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Yes, I plan to be extra careful. I have a fire pit made from an old washing machine drum. It's relatively enclosed and pretty heavy gauge steel.

I read a report from someone else on the web who did similar to what I wan't to do and his report suggested heating and cooling stones five times.

He reported many stones failing on the 2nd or 3rd time but has also reported never having a stone fail after the 5th and having some pretty old ones [a couple years] still in use after passing that test.

This whole thing has got me thinking primitive bathing in general. I have in mind a decent size wooden bowl or bucket and a tennis ball sized piece of basalt for a hot morning washing kit when doing more extended camping.

Last edited:

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
See if you find any ? reds, rusts, yellows? would you let me know ? and if you're up for barter I'd love some to try for dye and for watercolour lake :D Doesn't need to be a lot, but I think it'd be interesting to try :D

M

If and hopefuly when I find some you are welcome to some.

On a couple occasions I have made an alright black that does a good egg tempera.... Once I was lucky enough that it had a natural silver shimmer/iridescent nature though I havent yet figured out what causes it.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
No reason why a stone should fail after the initial testing proved it good and solid.
In Fenno Scandia we use the ones I mentioned.
After heating up the sauna we like to pour water on the hot stones to get a humid heat. The stones are exposed to this for years and years and they do not crack.
I would not use any stones made from sediment.

I found a good online article: search on this:
Sauna-rocks do matter

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm pretty sure that years ago Match said that common house bricks worked well. Pretty easy to find bricks :D….or those fancier pavers, maybe ? :dunno:

I'd be wary of using ordinary house bricks but engineer bricks are fine, they're fired at a much higher temperature and are designed to be impermeable.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I found a good online article: search on this:
Sauna-rocks do matter

Yes I also found that one. The "At the correct temperature the rocks will turn red when heated and when you throw water over them they will sizzle, followed by a blast of steam (You won't see the steam of course. Any sauna fundi will tell you that real steam isinvisible. The other stuff is just water vapour.) Got it?" part makes me wonder if im going to need forced air induction like a forge. Lol

Any stone which doesn't soak up water should do. We never, ever take stones from river for this.

You have a common stone in UK which I think was called sand stone. I tried this but sometimes it burst, some times no. different types and densities I guess. Heavier the type of stone the better as these don't soak up water.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If I was building a 'tent' sauna I would get or make components that I could use later in a more permanent construction, if you plan to do that.

What is your thought/plan about the fire box?

The way I have seen it done which I copied myself, is basically a square welded box, fairly thick walls, with a removable cast iron grid so the ashes fall diwn.
For grid look on replacement BBQ cast iron components. Do not forget the chimney coming out in the rear. On top make it likr a open topped box. Just continue with the walls upwards, if it makes sense.

Of course you can do it like a Same sauna tent too. Very simple.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I was leaning towards converting a gas bottle, I would cut the bottom off and invert it to create a dish. It would then be flipped over so this was now the top.
I would install a chimney in the back and a door on the front with an air controll/inlet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE