SAS smock???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I've been looking at these with great interest. I'm looking for a new outdoor/woodlands/camping coat and have looked at a few. These smocks have interested me greatly, but I have some questions for anyone in the know. Firstly, I really, really dont like camo/DPM, I'm not keen on olive drab either - just wanted to get that out of the way. The smocks I've been looking at are the black ones. But they seem to be made of varying materials. Some say Ventile, some say ripstop and some say Gaberdine, are they all just variations on the same theme? Or are/were these different fabrics used for issue garments? If so, what's the difference? I know what Ventile is, but not sure about Gaberdine. I think Bison Bushcraft have a verion of the smock in ventile, but it's only available in green. I think black would be smarter (I dont want to look like a squaddie on leave).

Any idea where I can get a black Ventile new pattern SAS smock?

Thanks.
Martyn.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Gabardine (or gaberdine, same thing) is a very fine cotton or wool twill. It has an extemely smooth finish and a good gabardine will shed water very well. The fabric wears well and is difficult to snag, and so it has long been used by the British military. Ripstop is different, having a "grid" of thicker threads in the weave to, literally, stop rips from spreading across the garment. Ripstop can be cotton, often with the "grid" in polyester, or it can be wholly synthetic.

My main outdoors top is a Snowsled Ventile smock with one large kangaroo pocket on the front. I love the material, it keeps me dry and it's far more breathable than any synthetic I've tried. You pay for the good stuff, but it pays you back.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Ive been looking for a decent jacket for ages and looked around a bit at the various types on offer.

From looking the MOD issued 2 styles of windproof/Arctic Smock.

1. The SAS Pattern: Cotton Gaberdine, no wire in the hood and no rank slides on the front or rear of the jacket.

2. The 'Royal Marine' Pattern Issued to Members of 3 Commando Brigade
Originally in Gaberdine But latterly in Polycotton (as a cost saving measure) wire in the hood and rank slides on the front and rear.

Both types have the large Easy to open buttons.

Survival Aids (now the Survival Shop??) near Penrith Used to Sell A Navy blue as well as an Olive Green Version of the 'Royal Marine' pattern Arctic smock. But that was a long time ago.

The Jacket that Bison Bush craft Sell is based on a much earlier pattern of SAS smock and has been updated with the addition of Slotted buttons.

It looks good and I must get round to ordering one!!

As an aside what colour do most people think is best for Bush craft???

Olive green seems popular. But given a choice what would you wear??

cheers

John

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Call me old fashioned - my kids usually do! - but I'm quite fond of my waxed cotton barbour jacket. Waterproof, thornproof, hard wearing and cut to allow movement.

Dave

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I bought the Artkis SAS waterproof smock and have been very impressed with it. Its well made and breathable. The smock has loads of little details and is really well made.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Yes, £35 is a terrific price for Ventile, but the description says "100% Cotton Modal or Ventile," so there's a chance that the supplied item wouldn't actually be Ventile at all. Cotton Modal is a blended fabric - not sure how you get 100% of it, because that's a bit like saying "100% polyester cotton." It's actually very good. Marks and Spencer make underpants from cotton modal. Hope that doesn't put you off...

Anyway, it's essentially much like polycotton and I'd rate it as secondary in quality to Ventile. Still very tough, but I wonder if it could be as waterproof. My Ventile smock keeps out a very impressive amount of water, but jackets made out of 60/40 cloth don't do as well, and I suspect that cotton modal would perform similarly.

Some of you may balk at the price of this smock, but a company in Edmonton, Alberta makes a smock that is just superb. It is getting rave reviews from high speed users. Well worth the money. I'm anxiously awaiting mine. Available in the amazing new CadPat or black. Brian tells me that olive green is in the works. He is also trying to produce them in other camo patterns, but getting the quality of material he demands is proving tough. He can get reams of lesser quality DPM and US woodland, but he isn't about to bother making something sub standard. Great guy to deal with.
http://www.dropzonetactical.com/reccesmock.html

Mar 2, 2004
399 c/dollars???
i love the look of it and would definitly buy one .....but not at that price.pity.
couldnt you dye a dpc one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE