SAS firelighting techniques compared...

Apr 3, 2008
Eindhoven, NL
I'd like to hear some of your opinions about SAS firestarting techniques, how do you think they compare?

Stick And Stone firelighting, that is... ;-)

Is there anyone who practices both techniques? How do you rate them?

Stones: a stone firestarting kit fits in you pocket, and you can have an ember within seconds, but you have to either have the right materials to hand, or be lucky enough to find them

Sticks: takes a bit of sweat sometimes, and a lot of preparation, but you can find wood almost anywhere

More opinions, please!

all the best
Al. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you mean "flint & steel" or "friction" techniques, then I believe that they are valid methods of firelighting.
Some people consider them to be "rites of passage" into bushcrafting, but there's something deeper. By learning how to light fire without having to rely on chemicals, modern technology and commercial manufacturing practices, you are preparing yourself to live your own life - as opposed to fueling someone elses lifestyle by exchangeing your restricted range of skills for theirs (your weekly salary, paying for kit!)
Besides, what would you do in the woods with all that spare time if fires were made so easily?

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Flint and steel - my favourite method of fire lighting.
Bow drill - my favourite way of getting an aching back and a sweaty shirt!

Perhaps I need practice and improved technique......

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I think the friction methods are all vastly superior to flint and steel.

If you fail at lighting a fire with a flint and steel you are still going to be cold. When you fail at wood friction methods you will be stripped down to the waist and swerating heavily. Just keep at it through the night. Mac

Christy

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2006
Lowlands
Steel. My arthritis won't allow anything heavier than that. Tried the bowdrill until I thought I was getting a heartattack. Small children were making fire with them and I failed majestically.
So just accept limitations and have steel in my purse, one on the keychain, every BOB in the house, nearly every cupboard, in the car, you could well find firesteels here to supply half the town.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If, and it's a big if, I can be assured of something dry enough to catch a spark and sustain it, then, and only then do I think the flint and steel is worthwhile.
Bowdrill at least gives you a hot glowing coal that's an ember in itself, and I can make all of it from what I know I will find around me.

Not much help I'm afraid, it's another, "It depends on what's available." answer. :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE