Sandstone Cave Adventure!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

Who would have thought that a cryptic note scribbled on a hundred-year-old map would lead me to an off-trail adventure? Not me! But chance and an unexpected observation can open new doors if you let it.

My friend noticed a strange notation on a 1912 map and used a computer and a little "map magic" to project the location of some caves. It was a remote area with no roads or trails nearby. So we had to plan our route more carefully than we would for the usual trail-hike. The key to our trip was arriving at the cave entrances at the proper elevation. Too high and we would be staring down a cliff. Too low and we faced an ugly climb in rough terrain.

Here are some pictures from the trip.

There are three caves in this photograph. It may be hard to tell, but we have to negotiate a very steep hillside to reach them. It was quite a scramble!

1-Approach.jpg

Here is a closer look at the bottom cave entrance.

5-ApproachBottomCave.jpg

This is a picture of a "skylight" in one of the caves. There were wonderful swirls and patterns on the cave walls. My guess is that they were caused by iron-rich minerals and water. But geology is one of my (many) weak points.

1-Skylight.jpg

How long was it since humans had last visited these caves? I have no idea. But the smooth sandy floors allowed me to do some terrific animal tracking inside.

6-Steve-Cliff-Caves11.jpg

If you are interested in more details about how we did the "map magic" or planned the journey, I placed some here (details). There are also more pictures of the inside of the caves. I did not want to overload this thread.

What I learned:

- Maps are living documents - Just as features appear on new maps, they can also disappear.
- Bushwhacking can require a tremendous energy expenditure compared to hiking on trails.
- If you are open to the possibilities and put in the time, there are hidden treasures out there for you to find.

Have you ever used an old map to find a "lost treasure"?

Regards!

- Woodsorrel

Enjoyed it thanks ,were the unidentified tracks on the floor made by a snake ? .

That's an interesting thought!

They were very narrow (about .6 - 1.3 cm), so I was not thinking snake. But it is certainly a possibility.

It actually looked like a tail-drag to me. But where were the footprints? I was also thinking it could be an insect of some type and that the tracks were so small I could not see them. I regret not inspecting the area carefully with a hand lens. I did not want to disturb that wonderfully smooth floor.

- Woodsorrel

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Could the trail be made by a large worm? I reminds me of Ragworm trails....
I love old maps and if any one wants to look at old British maps then check out cassinimaps.com - old maps rescaled and re-projected to match the modern Landranger series.
I got one for my area for Xmas and have found things on it that are not on the modern map and have been able to check out the history of the woods I play in before they were turned into "economic forestry". The map I have is based on the 1920s Popular Series OS map but Cassini do versions of older maps too...
No relation to Cassini except fascination....

John Fenna, this is a very good suggestion. I will look into the possibility of worm tracks. I may even have a book that has pictures of worm tracks!

EDIT: What about an antlion?

I also sent an Email to a tracker with much more experience than I have. Hopefully he will be able to set me in the right direction.

... I love old maps and if any one wants to look at old British maps then check out cassinimaps.com - old maps rescaled and re-projected to match the modern Landranger series...

Thanks for pointing out this resource for members who live in the UK!

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Nice one Woodsorrel. I've searched for loads of old caves and mines marked on my local OS maps, as well as visiting stone circles and other antiquities.

I've always enjoyed going where most other people don't, and even in these crowded Islands it only takes a little bit of extra effort.

Cheers, Michael.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I love old maps and if any one wants to look at old British maps then check out cassinimaps.com - old maps rescaled and re-projected to match the modern Landranger series.
I got one for my area for Xmas and have found things on it that are not on the modern map and have been able to check out the history of the woods I play in before they were turned into "economic forestry". The map I have is based on the 1920s Popular Series OS map but Cassini do versions of older maps too...
No relation to Cassini except fascination....

John that Cassini link is going to cost me money. Thank you. I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE