Samphire.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi guys.

How many of you eat samphire? They sell it in the supermarkets now, and is often reduced to 25p from £2 towards the end of the day. Probably not that popular as most won't know what it is.

Anyway, i like the stuff, nice and salty.

How do you prefer to eat yours? any nice recipes within the BCUK collective?

:)

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I used to buy this off the market when I lived in Norfolk - grows fairly abundantly on the coast there. Apart from the very tips it had a woody core. Therefore the best way to eat it was to boil or steam it then to toss in butter and black pepper. To eat, you pulled it between your teeth, stripping the flesh off and leaving the woody inner stem behind. delicious - haven't had it in years. You used to be only able to get it where it grew locally but now it seems to be much more widely available - really must pick some up again.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice gently streamed little butter & black pepper. Nice with fish but I quite like it with a grilled pork chop and some fluffy buttered mashed tatties. Hmmm could go a plate now.

Sent from a Kindled Fire in a wood somewhere.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I will eat it raw by the handful.

When people are told what it is, and have taken a look, I've rarely seen enthusiasm to eat it cooked let alone raw.

Works for me. Mackerel was cheap, then good old Mr Oliver made it popular and suddenly it is extortionate with possible overfishing issues. The fewer people who eat samphire, the better :) love being able to walk down to the sea marshes in Somerset and collect it.

Only real time I ha e it cooked is sauteed in black butter, lemon and capers and white wine, and then served alongside a nice fresh skate wing.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
All sounds lovely guys. :)

I've only ever eaten it raw. Never cooked it. I enjoy it mixed in with a salad. Having it tonight with Mackerel and salad funnily enough Hugh. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice stuffed inside the mackerel so that it collects all those lovely oily juices. Bit of lime and a twist of pepper. Lovely.
Have a nice meal chaps.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
i would be a bit suspious where it came from this time of year. The vietnamese stuff I wouldnt trust. It is more or less finshed by the end of august from the salt marshes here. I am a lightly boil then toss in butter one. Good with new potatoes and fresh mussles.

Supermarkets should do more to delvelop odd fruit and veg, like how to cook it and recipe suggestions.

Last edited:

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I harvest my own from the Burry Inlet in season. We usually just steam it but Salmon and Samphire quiche is good, as is a Samphire, Bacon and Sea Beet pie

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You need to come for a walk with me one day Mark. Samphire limits are "how much can you carry" around here. Literally could eat it every day for a year and not touch the available amounts

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It grows on the mudflats at the end of the remains of the Cumbria to Scotland railway bridge, just slightly west of Bowness on Solway.
I like it raw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE