Salt Island cleanup ( Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
Background

Salt island is one of the 365 islands in Strangford Lough. Northern Ireland Its owned by the National Trust and is part of the Strangofrd Lough canoe trail . In 2008 a derelict cottage was transformed into a bothy for kayakers on the trail . The bothy sleeps 12 , it has no electricity but does have a wood burning stove and a toilet , kayakers can use the bothy ( £5 per head per night ) or they can camp for free in the grounds of the bothy .

A few weeks ago I spent a night on it with a few friends (I hadn't been on the island for a year due to illness ) and i was a tad annoyed at the state of the place . I resolved to go back and clean it up

read on

Tuesday

I was going stir crazy stuck in the house for a fortnight . the bloody wind just didn't seem to be letting up
XC Weather was forecasting a lull on Wednesday . packed my kit into the landrover and threw the yak onto the roof on Tuesday night , sacrificed two small children to appease Poseidon and prayed XC had got it right

Wednesday

My weather station (tree outside my window) indicated that indeed they had got it right. ate a quick breakfast and drove to Killyleagh . loaded the yak and set off on the short crossing to Salt Island

IMGP3005.JPG

IMGP3009.JPG

Carried my kit up into the forest behind the bothy and set up camp

IMGP3018.JPG

Since my last trip to the island . I had a few new purchases that i wanted to test , but my main reason for the trip was to do a bit of tidying up.
I camped on the island a few weeks ago for the first time in a year , a serious illness had put me out of action for ten months and I was quite shocked/annoyed at the state of the place . the island is a fantastic resource, one of the few islands on the Lough that kayakers can legitimately camp . Why people litter the place , take stones out of the perimeter walls to build fire rings . strip the bark from tree's etc I have no idea ...it really really annoys me

I had brought some bin liners . a pair of leather work gloves and a few other bits and pieces with me . i started off by collecting most of the rubbish . beer tins/ bottles, discarded kettles . foil and the mesh from disposable BBQ's , tin foil. crisp packets etc etc . I managed to fill two bin bags from the bothy grounds and the forest

My kayak was fully loaded , perhaps even overloaded so I couldn't carry this rubbish back with me. so I dug a hole and buried the rubbish. I will retrieve it the next time I'm out for a day paddle

In the evening after my meal and a pot of coffee, I lay in the hammock read a book and caught up with the shipping forecast for the next day. by the sounds of it I wasn't going anywhere for a while

Moon rise
IMGP3052.JPG

IMGP3058.JPG

Thursday morning and i awoke to a fantastic sunrise

IMGP3061.JPG

I got the stove lit and the coffee on . I cant function until at least one double espresso

IMGP3063.JPG

The wind had swung round from the west to a southerly and the forecast had indicated it would stay that way for the next few days so I had to move my camp 90 deg to keep the wind off me

IMGP3078.JPG

After breakfast I resumed the cleanup

There was a dead sheep at the gate of the bothy and it was rank. so i decided to leave it until my breakfast had settled a bit

IMGP3104.JPG

First job was to repair the wall at the BBQ area , the stones from which had been used to build a fire ring

Before

IMGP3097.JPG

IMGP3096.JPG

After

IMGP3100.JPG

Next up was the wall at the other side of the bothy across from the water butt, again the stones had been used to build a fire ring

Before

IMGP3098.JPG

IMGP3099.JPG

After

IMGP3102.JPG

IMGP3108.JPG

That done I removed another fire ring at the rear of the bothy and repaired the wall at the side gate

Before

IMGP3105.JPG

IMGP3103.JPG

After

IMGP3106.JPG

I was getting hungry at this stage so went back to my camp baked a fruit soda type thingy , made more coffee and mulled over the problem of the leaking waterbutt

IMGP3135.JPG

IMGP3107.JPG

On the previous days litter gathering exercise I noticed quite a few of the pine tress had been producing resin to cover the wounds inflicted by the people who don't know the difference between dead wood and living wood

So I gathered some of this resin and melted it down in a lidls finest spam can

IMGP3125.JPG

IMGP3126.JPG

Removing the valve assembly from the barrel was easy enough , I cleaned the valve seating area inside and out . replaced the valve and then used the resin to seal it

IMGP3127.JPG

IMGP3130.JPG

I took the barrel down to the shore and filled it to check the repair was water tight . and cleaned the barrel inside and out

The resin worked a treat :D

IMGP3131.JPG

Next up was the thistles .. An improvised sickle made short work of them

IMGP3114.JPG

IMGP3119.JPG

IMGP3117.JPG

IMGP3134.JPG

The final job was the dead sheep... not a particularly pleasant job although I did manage to keep my lunch down , It now resides in a bed of thistles a hundred yards from the bothy

Happy with the days work I retired to camp, read a bit and carved another spoon

IMGP3109.JPG

Packed up on Friday and paddled back to the launch spot

Good to get away for a while

Andy

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Very well done, thanks for doing it, i've never been there, but having just got a new canoe, who know's one day...

Is that a frontier stove you were using ?.

Rob

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Thats brilliant :D Well done for taking the time and effort to make the place look a bit better.

I hope people who go there in the future respect the work you have done, i cant believe there were 3 fire rings, why didnt they just use one of the old ones that were there instead of demolishing more of the site!!

bisto

Need to contact Admin...
are you the bloke who was spotted running naked along the shoreline waving a spear and howling at the passing yachts?

apparently the police found 34 headless sheep in a smouldering pile when a killyleigh resident noticed smoke rising from the island and alerted the authorities, do you know anything about it Andy?

also,where could a guy get a class looking blade like the one in your scone pic? it looks awesome and really functional- bet its good for carving too?

lol just kidding dude, good job on the island and thanks for cleaning up my mess. did you camp closer to the bothy this time or where we were last time?
we should do the bann run soon while im still inspired lol. should be better than the waste of time that was my bass hunt in wexford ***.

nearly got that wee blade sorted for you too sausage.

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
are you the bloke who was spotted running naked along the shoreline waving a spear and howling at the passing yachts?

It wasn't a spear it was an improvised sickle :)

apparently the police found 34 headless sheep in a smouldering pile when a killyleigh resident noticed smoke rising from the island and alerted the authorities, do you know anything about it Andy?

I was having a BBQ

also,where could a guy get a class looking blade like the one in your scone pic? it looks awesome and really functional- bet its good for carving too?

Some eejit made it for me ... and yes it is good for carving

lol just kidding dude, good job on the island and thanks for cleaning up my mess. did you camp closer to the bothy this time or where we were last time?

Dont think it was your mess . your too tight to buy a disposable BBQ

we should do the bann run soon while im still inspired lol

Need to be soon.. I'm going back to work at the end of the month

. should be better than the waste of time that was my bass hunt in wexford ***.

Hate saying this but,,, told ya so :D

nearly got that wee blade sorted for you too sausage.

Excellent... looking forward to it

Jaysus is nowhere sacred

Andy

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Well done on the clean up. I'm a bit saddened though that the plonkers that made the mess in the first place will probably just think the Bushcraft-fairy has paid a visit, waved his (her?) magic wand and made it all clean. Ah well. At least the folks around BCUK appreciate your hard work.

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
Well done on the clean up. I'm a bit saddened though that the plonkers that made the mess in the first place will probably just think the Bushcraft-fairy has paid a visit, waved his (her?) magic wand and made it all clean. Ah well. At least the folks around BCUK appreciate your hard work.

Yeah...probably

I' sure the majority of people that use the Island leave no trace . but like everything the minority that don't spoil it for the rest
I used to fish a lot and I've seen lakes closed to anglers because of the litter and damage to fences , trees etc . and I'd hate that to happen to the Island

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE