Salamander firesteel pass around

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Looking good there mate

Right then, I promised to do a write-up so here it is

As a steel its great, easy to hold in a finger pinch type grip (I have a finger steel myself, this one is thicker and therefore easier to hold.... Especially in the 'lovely' weather we've been having recently). Throws sparks like a boss, because the back seems to have a slight radius to it and the ends are well tucked away it doesn't eat the flint (as a steel I once made tended to do due to corners and edges 'biting' and knocking spalls of flint loose)

The minimal sheath is inspired. I love the way that you can use the steel without removing it this makes it even thicker and more grippy (as well as keeping the cutty bit well away from the fleshy bits), The fit is nice as well, theres a definate 'snap' as you ease the blade home.... I feel as if the blade is only going to be freed when I choose to get it out.

Now on to the blade. The thumbnail shape makes scraping really easy and for cutting or slicing you find yourself naturally holding it as if it was a flint flake rather then a knife (between thumb and middle finger with the index resting on the back). Once sharpened it quite happily cut fabric (I was making charcloth), shaved hair off my knuckles and feathered a couple of small bits of wood.
My one criticism is that I think the blade is over tempered as it didn't keep the razor edge as well as I'd expect from a piece of re-purposed file, had it been a bigger blade (something like a Puukko for instance) then the Deep Straw to Yellow temper would be ideal as it would have to combine Hardness with Toughness.For such a small blade,I personally would of either given it a very light temper (Very Pale Yellow) or none at all (All Hard)

ETA, Since found out that E Mac did this one on the hurry-up and that it probably isn't tempered as he wanted it to be.

In short, If you want a handy little bit of firekit and you're not a metal-smasher (like he and I) then you won't go far wrong buying a Feather Forge Salamander

Will Bowden

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2009
Exmoor
www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
I can only echo what ForgeCorvus has said. I really liked it, the comment about the sheath is back on, it felt very good to snap home, so tactile in fact you could easily find yourself playing with it without thinking.

In the hand the knife felt good, I reckon it would be handy for skinning but I didn't get to try it.

I'm liking the look of the bigger version above, I can feel my pocket getting lighter and Andys getting heavier before long :/

Will :)

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I'd quite happily rock the basic Salamander as a necker, that bigger one might be a bit weighty to do that with.... But, I'm not big on hanging heavy stuff round my neck

Whats the big one weigh E Mac?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'd quite happily rock the basic Salamander as a necker, that bigger one might be a bit weighty to do that with.... But, I'm not big on hanging heavy stuff round my neck

Whats the big one weigh E Mac?

I'll have to get back to you on that one. I'm away offshore for another week at the very least. It's not huge at around 5" long.

Cheers

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
No no, that's my baby one. Short and fat. A mere 62kg. But yes it is about 5" wide if a little under.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Well then. Damn near 6 months has passed since I started this thread. And finally the steel is on its way back to me.

I'd like to say a big thank you to all those involved. I really appreciate the thoughts and opinions of people who are going to use the tools I make. This matters a great deal to me.

Once I get time to put these new designs and ideas into practice I'll post some pictures!

With this in mind, it is with a heavy heart I must say that I will not be doing any pass arounds such as this in the future.

Regards
Andy

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
Yes it should be with you tomorrow if it hasn't arrived today. Thanks for your generosity,I'm pleased its made its way safely round, its my first experience of a pass around so thanks again, good fun and learning,theres always so much to learn :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE