SAK / Altoids tin Combo Pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

I made a couple of similar combo pouches awhile ago for DC4 sharpening stones and Swedish firesteels.
Thought it might work for carrying an Altoids tin based kits like first aid kits or traditional fire lighting kits etc.
The SAK pouch is sized for my favourite SAKs. Victorinox Spartan, Tinker and Farmer models.

DSC03270Small.jpg

DSC03267Small.jpg

The pouch is made from 3 - 3.5 mm shoulder leather hand sewn with nylon thread and dyed dark brown.
Made a bit of a mess of the dying yet again :eek:, a bit patchy and ran out of dye too :(.
Might re-dye it later, when I get around to ordering more that is.

DSC03272Small.jpg

DSC03271Small.jpg

There's a flat pocket behind the front pockets ( not by design though :) ) which can take thin items.
Got a few Steri-Strips and a Fallkniven D3 diamond sharpener in there at the moment

The belt slots are 2 1/4" and while stringing it on a belt I thought it might work out with a dangler sheath hung below.
Not sure though :), might be a bit ott :confused:.

DSC03274Small.jpg
DSC03275Small.jpg

Thanks for looking .
Cheers,
Pete.

pwb

What did you finish the pouches with? Who do you get your spotty close things from?

Cheers

Craeg

Hi Craeg,

Finished the pouch off with good old Kiwi parade gloss boot polish on top of Fieblings oil dye :).

Those spotty close thingy type snaps :D ( Lift-the-Dot ) I bought on E-Bay they're the type with longer prongs for thicker materials like leather.
I can find the shorter pronged type still but unfortunately none of the longer :( , the search goes on though as they are great hard-wear really solid.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's lovely that is mate, top work!
i'm going to have to have a bash at wet formed pouches soon , they just look so much neater than soft pouches.

cheers

stuart

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Puub I love the finish, I can't seem to get the same effect. You said you used parade gloss, did you 'bull' it/spit and polish or just on with a cloth and buffed? Nice pouches

pwb

Puub I love the finish, I can't seem to get the same effect. You said you used parade gloss, did you 'bull' it/spit and polish or just on with a cloth and buffed? Nice pouches

Hi Scoman,
Just used a cloth and a good dollop of polish and rubbed it on not to the extent of bulling though more as a protective layer. Have , today, also rubbed some Renapur wax dressing on, just because I happened to have it handy.
Never tried the more fancy stuff out there, too much of a skinflint to buy some :).

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
nice pouches, thats good craftmanship that - where did you get the altoids tin? wouldn't mind picking one up for a small kit

pwb

nice pouches, thats good craftmanship that - where did you get the altoids tin? wouldn't mind picking one up for a small kit

The only place I could find an actual Altoids tin was on E-Bay :eek: turned out to be from Dornoch Pharmacy :).

Just the same type tin as a Fisherman's Friend or Marks and Sparks mint tin but I fancied one .

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Lovely work - are you going to start making them to sell?

where did you get the altoids tin? wouldn't mind picking one up for a small kit

Our local (fairly small) Morrisons sells Altoids - 99p - in the sweets section (where else?!?!):rolleyes:

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk

Yep, morrisons sell them, or Marks and Spencer's sell their own brand mints (identical to Altoids) in a tin exactly the same size.

ms_sweets_mints.jpg

If you really cant find one though, drop me a PM - I love the mints and so always have lots of empty tins.

BTW puub - excellent pouch - i'd love one of them!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE