Safety on Dartmoor if you have never been before.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
I have been thinking about doing a walk on Dartmoor for a while now. As much as I would love just to dive in, I do hesitate as I have been told it's not for the beginner. I have good walking and camping experience and have been up against so real tough times. Yet I have always had the fall back of a cell phone and don't want to be silly and get myself in to deep. Easy to be to cocky with these kind of things. O guess what I want to know is can 2 experienced walkers do Dartmoor safely or should you only do it with someone that has done it before? Thanks in advance.

Dave.

bob_pickard

Feb 1, 2012
epsom
yes I think you'll be fine - just do the usual things, sensible kit, waterproofs,compass, map, food, water, bivvi. read the weather forecast. Plan your route - Dartmoor seems to suck up time as you get in some slow going ground sometimes and weather can change quickly but it's no different approach to any other hill/mountain walking really and a really rewarding, beautiful area.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
No there are lots of areas with out signal, make sure you leave a map of your route with someone and your expected return time. My parents live on Dartmoor and I have been walking up there for over 20 years and have only got in trouble once and that was a short day hike in the glorious sunshine we were only about 2 miles from the road and the fog came in so bad you couldn't see more than a few feet in front of you, our group was spread out and we had a few kids with us and there was a bit of a flap trying to find everyone and one sprained ankle ensued in the following chaos. Luckily we had a compass and the group limped back to the road but had we been further away and if it had been cold it would have been a lot worse.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
No mate.
What do you mean you want to 'do ' Dartmoor ?
Walk across it, stay on it for a couple of days walking?
My best.
Chris.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Dave, Dartmoor is one of the most beautiful parts of the country , for walking and exploring , and although you say you are experienced walkers , it can be the most inhospitable place ! the weather can chane in 15 minutes from glorious sunshine with clear vision to ( as a previous poster said )to not being able to see a few feet in front of you , and without the proper equipment , you can become totally disorientated, also it all looks the same and you will literally walk around in circles !

The thing that catches most out though is the terrain ! Its a lot tougher going than you can imagine , tussocks , hillocks , marshes , bogs , rivers very hard to cross , killer valleys etc .

Also , if you are planning camping on the moor itself , there is very little shelter , and very few trees to hang , oh and the wind bites like a wolf and horizontal rain that burns is interesting ! Little or no firewood ( doesn't matter you are not allowed a fire anyway )

That all coupled with , avoiding military firing ranges , the choice of whether you choose the north moor or the much softer south of the moor , oh and where to park your car so it's in one piece upon your return, shoul all make for a very safe enjoyable trip !!

Now thats the worst case scenario , if you choose your time , plan a route , now you map and compass skills , are prepared for all the things i have mentioned , you will have the trip of a lifetime !!

Depending on what exactly you want from your trip , i am more than happy to offer advice , and help with lots of the things previously mentioned in my ramblings , or i will shut up !!

All the very best with what ever you decide ..

Ivan...

PS apologies for rant , and it always seems like self promotion , but i live literally on the moor , and have safe vehicle parking , direct access to the south moor etc etc , you don't have to pay and stay at mine ( unless you want to ), more than happy to assist gratis ...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As to safe vehicular parking - go by train!
You can get onto the moor easily from such stations as Ivy Bridge (is it still open? ) and never have to worry about your car being in one piece when you get back to it :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
In terms of avoiding problems in the first place but getting help if you hit them then you would be hard pressed to better:

http://paulkirtley.co.uk/resources/personal-outdoor-plan/

It looks like a lot of effort to fill it out but much of it could be standard and only need doing once and then amended as necessary. You might find that going through the process of completing it will be as useful as the final bit of paper, and give you more confidence to actually do the trip

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Good point John, Ivybridge Station is still open , and if you are really up for a walk you can access the Two Moors Way , and walk all the way to Lynmouth , north coast of Exmoor (102 miles ! ) should only take you about 6 days !
YOU will need OS 28 Dartmoor map too !

And sorry i didn't see your post on the Dartmoor 6 thread before .

Ivan...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Having got lost a couple of times on Dartmoor, I would say that one of the most important things to do is to keep referring to your map so that you know exactly where you are at all times. This is particularly important on a day that starts clear because, as has been said earlier, the fog can come in ludicrously fast and the ensuing disorientation is NOT fun. So, keep the map out, keep the compass with it and be really, really picky about waypoints, pacing and bearings. Oh, and have a brilliant time: Dartmoor is a very special place indeed.

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Alternativley...... Don't get too carried away with all the worst case senarios. Take a map (OS 28) and compass with you and keep a rough idea where you are on it during your walk. Don't be too ambitious first time and enjoy it. Dartmoor is a special place.

I'd suggest the south moor for beginners. it is a little more pleasant to look at, the peaks are a little lower, and there are far more people on it, at any one time. All these things will help you.
Pack as light as you can, the worst element of the moors, is the unever "tussocks", which will test your legs. If you can keep to the well worn paths, it'll make life a lot easier.
As mentioned before, always plan your route, and leave a copy with at least two people/organisation.
O2 has the best signal on the moors, vodafone has the worst.
Work on an average of 1-2mph walking pace. I know the average walking pace is 4mph, but things are a little different on the moors, plus it's not a problem if you're slightly ahead of scedule.
Check your planned camping area HERE (map is at bottom of page), as some areas will allow camping freely, others will require permission, and some are not allowed.
Also as Skate says, take a map and compass (two is always a safer bet). Keep track of where you are, and were you're going. As you walk the first km, make a note of how long it took you, that way you'll be able to work out where you are, from time/direction/distance covered (just incase you can't make out any landmarks).
The most important rule. don't feel you have to do all of it, if you don't feel up to it. That's what the escape routes are for. The whole idea is to enjoy yourself.

Adam

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
Check your planned camping area HERE (map is at bottom of page), as some areas will allow camping freely, others will require permission, and some are not allowed.

excellent share - will defiantly be studying that further to make sure all my future outings are within the letter of the (bye)law(s)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Photo008.jpg

Dartmoor is a fantastic place to walk & there are places where you can really be alone & not have to say "hello" every 5 seconds to other passing walkers.....
Stay clear of Torrs near car parks 'cause can get as crowded as shopping malls..:(.
I wouldn't call Dartmoor dangerous, The hound of the Baskervilles is long dead.:D...if you have weather protection & food you shouldn't have any problems..map & compass so you don't get lost, though you only have to walk in any given direction for a couple of hours & you will come to a road.

Really it's just like an overgrazed heath /common with a few exciting bits.

Haven't got anything against sheep or ponies have you ? :rolleyes:

Photo010.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE