Safely Identifying Burdock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
what about the stem and leaves are they similar to anything?

Well it depends, I have heard some of mis-ids that put people in hospital, and think they must be the shallow end of the gene pool. Like mistaking lord and ladies for sorrel, they look superflicolly simerlar, but at some point most sensible people would spit out something that is burning your lips. Someone would have to be pretty dim to think this sorrel has bit a of tingle, lets make arum leaf soup.

Burdock leaves are large and broadly heartshaped and taste earwaxy bitter, they have a downy underside. At certain times of year foxglove, mullein and comfry could look simerlar, but they don't have bitter tasting leaves. Deadly nightshade can have large downy leaves, I don't what this tastes like, but I bet is smells like tomato leaves when crushed, and it is very rare plant in wild.

If in doubt leave it out. Wait until the plant looks more typical in summer and harvest it next year.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Deadly nightshade can have large downy leaves, I don't what this tastes like, but I bet is smells like tomato leaves when crushed, and it is very rare plant in wild.

I think that's why tomatoes were given a wide birth in the days of yore, because they are of the same family as belladonna.

I didn't know it was a rare plant though, I've seen lots of the stuff.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I think that's why tomatoes were given a wide birth in the days of yore, because they are of the same family as belladonna.

I didn't know it was a rare plant though, I've seen lots of the stuff.

I never see it, the only place I can recall seeing deadly nighshade is the isle of wight, and purbeck. I don't understand how the berries end up in a pie instead of bilberries the plants look nothing like each other, but then if you live down south you can go your whole life without seeing a wild bilberry.

I spent a year looking at hogweed before I could be 100% sure of what it was. It was only then that I would entertain the idea of eating it.

M

Mouldsy

I think the best thing to do is to go out with somebody that can I.D it for you, But I think once you find it in its second year of growth with the burrs on you wont mistake it for anything else.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
The roots of burdock and deadly nightshade are not similar in any way. the burdock even when the roots are not fully grown are long and thin as the plant reaches far under ground. The roots of the deadly nightshade creep out and are many rather than one large tuber light the burdock. The plant the burdock root can be mistaken for is black bryony though the plants are totally different. Anyone who mistakes arum lily for sorrel shouldnt be allowed out by themselves they have so many differences it should be impossible to confuse them. Like mouldsy says once you id burdock you will start finding it everywhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE