Safe to eat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
on my last trip i came across a australiian fresh water turtle and just wonderin is ti safe to eat Fresh water turtle?(cooked)
just want to know so if next time i go i know it safe to eat(sometime the road out get cut off by floods there so ^^)

Skipp

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
all freshwater andsea turtles are edible in America - Box turtles in America are wandering land turtles that eat poisonous plants, making meat extremely poisonous, mainly mushrooms. the gopher turtle here is caught and fed for a few days to get rid of any waste food products, and turtle benifits from doing this. fresh water turtles have meat in the legs and under the spine plate, which most people miss entirely because it is under the inside spine plate, they just dont know nor see the meat, it is the tenderlion.

pop head with a putting golf whack to drive head back in shelll. this kills it fast. cut off head and bleed the thing. cut off claw feet, as they can cut you. they move around for hours. break open plate in a cross pattern, then on rim of shell, knife placed on shell, then whack with log hammer until cut through. skin back plates, remove the yellow filter toxin sacs, that filter out crap from food and water, it tainted the meat. all yellow throw out. remove guts. dig out each foot after skinning it, cut through the joints. and run knife around shell iside. the spine meat needs to be popped out with knife and log hammer, then dig under the shell to remove the best part of the turtle. small turtles is a waste of time. parboil hem before frying to kill any parasite, and makes tender. fry them, or make soup out of them, boiling for hours until meat falls from the bones. jaw of most dead turtles bite way after dead, so cut the jaw check meat out, which is very tender and tasty, but never let a kd play with a cut off head, it will cut your finger off if the turtle is big enough. hope that helps out.

turtle eggs by the way never get hard, so you better like running eggs.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Freshwater turtles (most commonly snapping turtles) are often eaten here; Cajuns make a fantastic turtle soup from them.

The Gopher Turtle leachim spoke of was a common dish during the Great Depression. It was known as "Hoover's Chicken" as an insult to the president that took the blame (rightly or wrongly) for the depression.

Now however, the Gopher Turtle is on the "protected" list and killing (or even harassing one) will result in a fine and possible jail time. Construction of a new school here was halted so a pair found on the site could be relocated.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
Freshwater turtles (most commonly snapping turtles) are often eaten here; Cajuns make a fantastic turtle soup from them.

The Gopher Turtle leachim spoke of was a common dish during the Great Depression. It was known as "Hoover's Chicken" as an insult to the president that took the blame (rightly or wrongly) for the depression.

Now however, the Gopher Turtle is on the "protected" list and killing (or even harassing one) will result in a fine and possible jail time. Construction of a new school here was halted so a pair found on the site could be relocated.

that is true along with the diamond terrapin. Gopher tortise holes are the key to rattlesnakes, and homes to several major species in the pine barrens and sandhills, without these turtles, they are killing out 1000's of animals, that is why they are protected. Living on beach in Sebastian Florida, I ran into many of them on the sand dunes. But it is common to bow hunt many other species, along with garfish, bowfish, and carp/ where are you Santaman200?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
all freshwater andsea turtles are edible in America - Box turtles in America are wandering land turtles that eat poisonous plants, making meat extremely poisonous, mainly mushrooms. the gopher turtle here is caught and fed for a few days to get rid of any waste food products, and turtle benifits from doing this. fresh water turtles have meat in the legs and under the spine plate, which most people miss entirely because it is under the inside spine plate, they just dont know nor see the meat, it is the tenderlion.

pop head with a putting golf whack to drive head back in shelll. this kills it fast. cut off head and bleed the thing. cut off claw feet, as they can cut you. they move around for hours. break open plate in a cross pattern, then on rim of shell, knife placed on shell, then whack with log hammer until cut through. skin back plates, remove the yellow filter toxin sacs, that filter out crap from food and water, it tainted the meat. all yellow throw out. remove guts. dig out each foot after skinning it, cut through the joints. and run knife around shell iside. the spine meat needs to be popped out with knife and log hammer, then dig under the shell to remove the best part of the turtle. small turtles is a waste of time. parboil hem before frying to kill any parasite, and makes tender. fry them, or make soup out of them, boiling for hours until meat falls from the bones. jaw of most dead turtles bite way after dead, so cut the jaw check meat out, which is very tender and tasty, but never let a kd play with a cut off head, it will cut your finger off if the turtle is big enough. hope that helps out.

turtle eggs by the way never get hard, so you better like running eggs.

That sounds tricky! Next time you do one take a few photos for us ;)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I believe all the australia fresh-water turtles are protected species, so wouldn't suggest eating them.

Heck, they were getting rare when I was a kid. Now even the snakes are protected.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I believe all the australia fresh-water turtles are protected species, so wouldn't suggest eating them.

Heck, they were getting rare when I was a kid. Now even the snakes are protected.

You are correct. There are many species of freshwater turtles and describing something as an Australian freshwater turtle is not nearly enough to identify the species. But in Australia from the point of view of taking one from the wild it is academic. In Australia all freshwater turtles are protected. Even disturbing them can land you with a fine, so don't even think about killing one unless you're in a true survival situation.

http://www.davidvella.com.au/TurtleCare2pg_dvella.pdf

Fortunately they take conservation rather more seriously in Australia than in many other parts of the world.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Fortunately they take conservation rather more seriously in Australia than in many other parts of the world.

And justifiably so. Native Australian wildlife took a unique evolutionary path that isn't duplicated anywhere else on Earth. Also Australian wildlife seems to be infinitely more threatened by the invasive species introduced (deliberately and accidentally) during colonization.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE