Sabre 45 or predator 45?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
I'm looking to get a mid sized weekender and both of these have popped onto the radar. Both seem to have excellent reviews.
I've already got expedition sacks from macpac and a berghaus vulcan, as well as day sacks that are useable but find that although the larger sacks are great for winter weight kit I either end up carrying a lot of stuff I don't need or having to dive in to find what I want. The small sacks struggle a bit on winter day walks and overnighters, and I love the ability to separate kit using the additional pockets on the Vulcan.
I can probably float one more past SWMBO before running the risk of reducing world population by one (namely me:D)

So i guess I'm really asking if anyone out there has had both or tried both, and if so which they would choose and why?
(If this comparison has been done before I apologise and ask if you can point me in the right direction)
Are the back lengths the same on both?
It would seem that the sabre is built around a mountaineering platform with the central rope strap under the lid and daisy chains, ice axe holders, gear loops on the belt and the predator around load hauling. Or have I got that completely wrong?:rolleyes:
Thanks for your help in advance - a

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I went for the predator use it daily for work. Cracking weekend bag too. Got the side pockets for the times I need a wee bit more room. I like that i can zip the sides on the predator to make it smaller. Both fine packs so ultimately down to which design you prefer.

Orric

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
I have both Predator then Sabre

My Predator is an issue one which has no belt. I found this to be pain and loosely attached a padded belt but wasn't happy with it. You can get them with a waist belt but it will ride very high unless you have a very short back (I'm 5' 8").

If you don't mind carrying all the weight on your shoulders then the Predator might suit you. Build quality is bomb proof and the straps tensioners etc are better than the Sabre. The square shape is nice and the two pockets in the lid very good.

The Predator weighs nearly 3Kg empty! It has Molle so you can add more weight by strapping lots more pockets all over it if you want. It will probably then be too heavy to pickup :lmao:

Sabre has less padding on the straps and more rudimentary suspension. But you can cinch up the waist belt and carry the weight on your hips. Single pocket in the lid annoys me because I'm used to the two on the Predator. No Molle so looks less military even in OG.

Both take rocket pockets if you need to expand. Karrimor molle side pockets are very expensive.

I'm happier with the Sabre. You are always best to try rucksacks on for size though.....

Cheers
Bryan

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Thanks everyone for the replies so far, it's good to know that both can be reduced by zipping the sides in.

Brozier am I reading your post right in that the sabre has a slightly longer back length?

One of the problems is I can't seem to find any retailers locally to try them out so will probably order online and if a terrible fit then accept the loss in postage and return

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Thanks everyone for the replies so far, it's good to know that both can be reduced by zipping the sides in.

Brozier am I reading your post right in that the sabre has a slightly longer back length?

One of the problems is I can't seem to find any retailers locally to try them out so will probably order online and if a terrible fit then accept the loss in postage and return

If you contact Sports Direct, you may find the larger city stores (Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham etc) may carry them (Predator 45 at least), love my Predator.

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
Hiya,

Yes just measured them. Sabre is 50mm (2") longer in the back.

Just taken a quick photo it's not great but the tops are in line and you can see the bottom on the sabre is further down.

8675625461_af11af5025_c.jpg

Do try them both though, rucksack fitting is very personal thing... :p

Cheers
Bryan

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Excellent pics, thanks very much :). I'm guessing the sabre is the olive green and the multi is the preditor. It almost looks like the sabre is slimmer, unless its an optical illusion (they do say darker colours are slimming, must get one as dark as poss if true:rolleyes:).
I have a karrimor hot rock (30) as a cragging sack that fits great and it looks like the sabre may be following similar lines.
It's a tuff one though as I like the idea of the elasticated pockets on the side of the preditor and the molle strips.
I guess I may just have to get used to the idea of possibly modding a new sack.

Are there any mods anyone would suggest who's used either of these packs?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE