Sabre 45 modfications HELP!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
I cant find a pack that suits me, I have the Sabre 45, but hate using the side pouches as its to wide.

I want a 45ltr pack that has small pouches on so i can section off my kit. The bag needs to be big enough to do a long weekend trip yet small enough to double as a day sack once I am in the woods.

Is there anyone that can modify a sabre for this or can some one point me in the right direction for something of the shelf?

I love the look of the frost river jr bushcraft pack but it seems to be very heavy and the fjaraven helags40 is not made any more.

HELP!!!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
There are smaller pouches that can attach to the rocket pack zips, ones designed for ammunition and the like, some options can be found here.

For a small pack around your camp you can obviously zip the side zips of the sabre on each side together reducing the volume considerably and making for a much smaller day pack.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Another thought, berghaus side pockets are slightly more narrow than genuine plce one's....mine havent but some berghaus pockets may have upside down zips though

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Dragon Supplies do a few flat side pockets, not cheap but look quite good. https://www.dragonsupplies.co.uk/tailoring/bergen-tailoring

I made some similar ones for my son, he had a 100L bergan for cadets, but as it was mainly one big load area it was difficult to get to stuff inside.
So I made him 2 flatish pouches out of the legs of an old pair of MTP MVT trousers, fitted with some of the correct zips. So he can now keep any
wet kit, jacket, basha etc outside of the main compartment.

There is a thread in 'members made and modded'

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Or perhaps take a look at the 5.11 Rush 24 - loads of handy compartments, and plenty of Molle webbing to increase its capacity (if that's what you like - personally, I'm not sold on molle on packs)

I can post some pics of my Predator 45 in both 'modes' if you like.

You probably half the size of the main compartment, from a forty five litre rucksack it ends up looking like a twenty litre day sack.

Some pics would be nice-- at some stage I have to replace my day pack; as I still have not found a place to settle down there's a limit to what I can own/carry and a "" two packs in one"""solution sounds not bad(=and 1000D material sound tough as I like it!)��

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Some pics would be nice..."

A couple of quick pics.

This is the Predator rucksack, it is broadly similar to the Sabre and accepts the same rocket pouches or other attachments using the same zips.

If you zip the pack zips together you end up with a very low profile pack as you can see from this side view...

P1110016.JPG

...opening the zips increases the volume considerably.

P1110018.JPG

I hope this helps.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...What would be the pros/cons of sabre vs. predator?!.."

The predator (my version anyway) doesn't have a waist belt, although there are versions with one that is similar to the Sabre or with a thin belt that packs away when not in use.

These pics, descriptions and drawings may help.

Predator 45

Sabre 45

The lack of belt makes it easier to use as a daypack if you are jumping onto buses and metros all day.

The entrance to the top pocket of the Sabre sits behind your head when wearing the pack, on the predator the opening faces behind you, so you probably don't want to keep anything of value in there if wearing it around towns and cities.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE