SA Trangia, Crusader kit etc - the Grandaddy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Got a "new" stove the other day. Christmas pressy to myself.

A Barrett & Sons, Piccadilly gentlemans picnic set. Consists of stove, pan with lid and handle (it has a slight jug lip for pouring)

From what I can find out they started out as a brush maker then in the late 1800 - early 1900 jumps on to the fashion for a Picadilly address. The where trunk makers and miliatry outfittes(Sam Brownes, shoes etc).

I guess they made the leather case in house and the rest was bought in a repackaged.

The set is made from copper, the pan tin lines and the handle wood and brass.

It all packet away - 1909 Farthing for scale:D

IMG_0028.jpg

it all packs into the pan. The pan is approx 12cm tall and holds a pint

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

unpacked. The snuffer on the stove doubles as a screwed lid. If you look at the pan support closely you can see that it is shaped to fit inside the raised lip of the stove. The pan has an incut bottom (if that makes sense) for a snug fit to the support.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Read for use - if I took the snuffer of that is.

IMG_0037.jpg

re-packed read to go away.

IMG_0039.jpg

the burner - it is a wick one

IMG_0042.jpg

This really is excellent bit of kit, ifa bit heavy. Very well made and even more well though out and pretty to boot.

If this was available as an undated version in stainless steel/ Ti and with a folding cup handle and removable bail it would beat the rest hands down

Only used it in the house so far. Not the quickest as it is not pressurised but not much between it and what I remember of trangias etc - certainly nicer to have. Yes it is going to be a user but I'm not going to add a bailarm. Might make a clip on one though.

Don't see why it would not work with a crusader cup or my MSR Alpine kettle if I want more water.

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
You need a special stainless steel flux, but you can buy a kit on ebay for less than a tenner.
stainless steel kit

First of lovely old pot/cook set, they dont make em like that anymore :( . I remember my grandad having an old kelly type kettle and frying pan made of copper n brass.

Tadpole's correct. Any plumber worth his salt will tell you that SS can be soldered, you just need the right flux n solder. Remeber thats SOLDER not sodder the yanks seem to have dropped the L and added a D? :D

Tom

PS.. Ok Eds. Were all dying to know whats the first thing you plan on cooking with yer old pot? or are you just going to make a brew :)

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
first will be a tea, made with proper large loose leaves. I figure that hte "hole" betwee nthe jug lip and the lid is just right for retaining the leaves.

Then mulled beer maybe.

to be honest I got it for brews and soup more than proper cooking. Though I think a half decent kedgeree could be knocked up for breakfast in it.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
first will be a tea, made with proper large loose leaves. I figure that hte "hole" betwee nthe jug lip and the lid is just right for retaining the leaves.

Then mulled beer maybe.

to be honest I got it for brews and soup more than proper cooking. Though I think a half decent kedgeree could be knocked up for breakfast in it.

I finally managed to get myself one of these, well almost a complete set, the lid and the thimblish flame spreader are missing. It's also a tiny bit dented and the leather case hinge and strap are both broken.

I've got an extra 2 bit compared to yours.

A silver pan with sieve type drain holes in the base, slightly bigger than a small sewing needle. This pan pack away between into the pan support with the fuel container inside it.

A flat donut disk with even small holes (small sewing needle gets stuck at the eye end ) and a slit cut out. Looks like that's been cut out to make it easy to drop into the silver bowl.

I was told these are a coffee making device but I think tea is more likely due to the hole sizes and well it's just looks like a proper chaps tea kit.

The spirit stove of the age ;)

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
these are really beautifull looking stoves, though i always thought, naively, that cooking in copper isnt exactly good for you. i take it i am wrong then?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE