S. Wales tracking group anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
I've been thinking about this for a bit now. Although I'm outdoors at Merthyr Mawr a lot of the time it isn't very often I get time to concentrate on my tracking. I attended a Shadowhawk tracking course in April and found it really useful just concentrating on tracking with other people and being to learn from all of our mistakes.

So, would anyone be interested in a group specifically set up to practice and learn about tracking in the S.Wales area?

If so how often would people think it should be held, where should it be held, how should it be run, what should be the mix of theory and practical, etc. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Cheers Frogo.

I'll let you know when I've got something sorted out. I'm planning on having a chat with Max from Shadowhawk at the Wilderness Gathering this weekend to get his advice so I'll have a better idea how to do things after that.

I know that Ed and possibly a few others may be interested as well.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
OK, I'll have a look and try and come up with a date and a location (Beginning of October OK?)

I had a chat with Max at the Wilderness Gathering and he was very helpful with suggestions on how to run it etc.

As for experience of tracking don't worry as most of us are probably novice and those of us who aren't will benefit as there is always something new to learn!

I thought that probably the best way to organise the group would be to sort a programme of different subjects to be covered at each monthly(?) meet up rather than just turning up and looking for whatever we could find.

I'd also try and come up with some experiments / observations that could be carried out at home away from the group and then reported on at the next meet up.

Any suggestions for subjects to be covered gratefully received.!

I'll put another post up when I've sorted out a programme for the first meet up

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
How about either the 1st or the 15th October for a tracking meet?. Merthyr Mawr as the venue unless anyone else has got anywhere else they would like to go? ( I know its easy for me and may be getting a bit repetitive for some but with all that sand its a great place to start. I may try to see if we can use the campsite classroom in the case of bad weather)

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Right, time and place sorted.

Sunday October 1st, 10am at the Candleston car park at Merthyr Mawr.

More details of what we'll be doing on the day coming soon.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Wenie said:
Isn't the 1st of October on a Saturday? :confused:

DOH! Yup you're right. :rolleyes:

Sunday is probably the best for most people (me included) so lets say Sunday 2nd October 10 am @ Merthyr Mawr. Everybody welcome.

The way I'm looking at the meetup is that it is a way of getting people interested in tracking together to practise and discuss tracking techniques. It is not a tracking school where you will be taught by instructors.

So that we (hopefully) will get the best out of the day I've tried to put together a programme of what to look at and discuss at the first meeting.

Different styles of tracking.
The attributes of a tracker & the use of the senses.
How to measure and record tracks.
Track characteristics & recognising common track patterns

This may seem basic to some but I thought it would be plenty for us to start with and would be useful for anyone new to tracking.

This isn't written in stone so if there is anything that anybody would like to change, look at or discuss let me know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE