rusty knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
hi all,
i have a mora which has been in my shed for a few weeks. prob is it is now a bit rusty, is there anything i can do to remove it & is there anything i can do to stop it happening in future if it wont be in use for a while.

thanks

gaz

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
My dad used to use hydrochloric acid to clean rust, but I have no idea where you would get it, never mind the safety precautions.

I recently cleaned up a slightly pitted blade with fine grade sand paper and three in one oil.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Citric acid works - rub with a cut lemon for fine surface rust. You'll need a stronger solution to clear deep pitting - be warned though it will give a nice black patina to the blade.

Isn't brick acid hydrochloric? You used to be able to get that in B&Q

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
the trick to stopping a high carbon blade from rusting is moisture. you've gotta keep it as clean and dry as possible. so clean out the sheath thoroughly and leave that to dry out completely. then wipe the knife with a paper towel to remove any residue on the blade. then put it in a drawer or cupboard. i keep mine right at the bottom of my kit drawer which excludes any air that's probably full of moisture.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
hi again, i tried the steel wool which removed the rust but has left black marks on the knife, i have attached a picture (not very clear, sorry)

question is does this come off? if not does it harm the blade?

sorry for all the questions but its my 1st knife, a frosts mora as advised by the good folk on here.

thanks again.

gaz

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
hi again, i tried the steel wool which removed the rust but has left black marks on the knife, i have attached a picture (not very clear, sorry)

question is does this come off? if not does it harm the blade?

sorry for all the questions but its my 1st knife, a frosts mora as advised by the good folk on here.

thanks again.

gaz

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That aint no problem mate - that be "character" you have developed there!

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
cheers, my mind is now at ease. I'm off out on a bushcraft course this weekend & didnt want to turn up wi a dodgy knife.

Thanks again everyone

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
thanks for that guy's, i'll give the wire wool or sandpaper a try.

Cheers

Gaz

You will remove some good material with the rust, too.
Get yourself vinegar acid, 100% (and protect yourself proper) then immerse the blade overnight. The acid will eat the rust and leave the good steel unharmed.
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&tbs=isch:1
Just like dressing a wound with maggots, it works really well.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4741893_use-maggots-disinfect-heal-wounds.html

Last edited:

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
You will remove some good material with the rust, too.
Get yourself vinegar acid, 100% (and protect yourself proper) then immerse the blade overnight. The acid will eat the rust and leave the good steel unharmed.
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&tbs=isch:1
Just like dressing a wound with maggots, it works really well.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4741893_use-maggots-disinfect-heal-wounds.html

Don,t attempt this above as it will eat the rust first yes but then will go on to etch your blade and fine cutting edge . It's alright if you want to etch your blade slowly and want the aggro of resharpening your knife .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE