Runner bean... beans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I seem to have loads of mature runner bean pods left on the vines this year with nice fat beans inside, enough for seed saving and a ton of surplus. I've been trawling the interweb and all the advice is a bit mixed but generally the braver people say treat them like kidney beans (ie soak and boil until they're not poisonous any more) and use them in the same way. Does anyone routinely eat them as a bean and any tips or recipes to get the best out of them?

I've got a load already inside drying but after the frosts this week should I just pick the lot and dry them indoors rather than risk leaving them outside to finish off?

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
They are absolutely fine to eat, I always end up with some runner beans that escape and get too tough to eat as pods, so I just let them get ripe and dry the seeds. You can do the same with French beans. Soak them boil for at least 10 minutes then simmer until soft. I throw them into stews and soups.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Thanks for that. I'm guessing they're not a popular food given the lack of recipes but it can't hurt give them a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE