Run away, run away!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Jumped into the cab of my MK on Friday for the first time in a week or so. I was about to start her up when I heard a buzz from behind me, looked around and saw this about eight inches form my right shoulder.

IMG_6064.jpg

IMG_6062.jpg

I don't think I've ever got out of the truck so quickly! :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oooh, flinch, not funny really :(
We get them in the loft sticking out from the beams like golf balls on stems. It always seems such a shame to kill them but I'm not for having them in the house. We slip a paper bag over the byke late in the evening and cut the stem free with the bread knife. Usually the byke ends up thrown in amongst the trees along the burn path.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a wasp and a nest.
They can sting again and again and they target sweet stuff like juice (or sticky kids :rolleyes: )

In a couple of months they are a blasted nuisance as they start to look for somewhere to over winter for the queens while the rest are bad temperedly dying off.

cheers,
Toddy

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
The only thing I don't like in the woods (or anywhere for that matter) are these little blighters!! - to be honest they terrify me.

I hate them - shudddder - yep love the outdoors - love being outside - don't mind anything creepy / crawly / slimy - but these I hate.

Vicious little beggars.

/anti-wasp rant finished.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Apparently you can ward them off by hanging an inflated paper bag where you don't want them - they sense it as an unfriendly nest and go somewhere else...

N

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Got to agree, what do they make the nest out of?

they must be really industrious to make one in week.

It's paper!! Chewed up wood pulp and wasp saliva to be exact. I once found a nest in my loft that was over 2 feet across :eek: . Gave me one hell of a shock when I went up there for a couple things. I left rather quickly I can assure you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE